This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bringing KDEmod to kubuntu

Hi all, my name is Alex and I'm an italian kubuntero; i like very much (k)ubuntu and the philosophy backing it, however i really dislike gnome, so here i am for KDE (in fact i use kubuntu); now, i try to keep up to date with all the distributions existing in the linuxsphere, and i recently came accross Arch Linux;

they have a community-driven repository with a custom-build of KDE3 branch, they apply an interesting patchset against the latest release to improve general usability/eyecandy/etc, that particular build is know as "KDEmod", you can find the website at

http://kdemod.ath.cx/

I tried and found it very good, with improvements on usability and with a lot of cool features like optional enhanced kickoff, a really usable enhanced konqueror and so on; what I want to ask now is if it is possible to "port" KDEmod to kubuntu, making packages available for ubuntu, integrating it with kubuntu artwork, kde-guidance, system-settings and so on; really, take a look at it, it's really complete, usable and integrated with the environment, this would be a killer desktop for kubuntu.

They have an open svn which tracks the current release and the patchset (which is always up-to-date with latest kde release), if anyone with some experience in packaging is interested i would like to cooperate to bring kdemod to kubuntu, i have little experince with packaging (obviosly not checkinstall), however i don't have the know-how to package an entire kde release, so with some help from the community/kubuntu kde team, i would really like to bring KDEmod to kubuntu, at least as an experimental alternative to kubuntu-desktop.

Does anyone think it could be possible?

Alex

Re: bringing KDEmod to kubuntu

This is definitely possible. Packaging for debian/kubuntu wouldn't be that hard, plenty of howtos. If I'm not mistaken, kubuntu already has some of the patches in KDEmod, such as the perrty/kip, enterprise pim, etc.

Comment

Re: bringing KDEmod to kubuntu

I can speak highly of kdemod (and Arch) as a former user and it's certainly possible to get kdemod's features into kubuntu. I believe kubuntu uses many of the same patches as kdemod already. One thing I like better with kdemod is the domino theme.

Comment

Working...
      X