This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers and other ideas..

I am a fairly new user to Kubuntu and I really like it.. One of the things that I see that need attention is making it possible to have more drivers so I can use my scanner..

The other thing is making it easier to install linux programs.. as in windows with the exe.. Make it so all you have to do is click on one file and it loads..

eliminate the need for code language and you will find many will take on this program.. If it gets to complicated people will want windows..

I personally think linux is better but it needs improvements I can see why this would be a problem with volunteer programmers.. When Microsoft employs thousands and thousands..

I would like to commend all who make Kubuntu you are doing a great job!

Re: Drivers and other ideas..

Originally posted by DazzlingDaver
    The other thing is making it easier to install linux programs.. as in windows with the exe.. Make it so all you have to do is click on one file and it loads..
    K Menu | System | Adept Manager

This runs the package manager for *ubuntu. Find a package you want installed, mark it for installation and click on Apply Changes and it's installed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yeah, what snowhog said , or even easier just try the simplified "Add/Remove Software" in the main menu

As for scanners, for the most part, Kubuntu has just about all the free scanner drivers there are already built in. Sometimes you need a firmware file that is not included., however.

Try this search engine to find info on your scanner
      or
      try this link

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Originally posted by DazzlingDaver
        K Menu | System | Adept Manager

This runs the package manager for *ubuntu. Find a package you want installed, mark it for installation and click on Apply Changes and it's installed.

I am new to using Kubuntu (4 days now), i did find it easy to use the Adept Manager, but if i download a program how do i get it in Adept Manager, or whats the easiest way to install it, i am not very good at using the command lines

Comment

Originally posted by t4e
          if i download a program how do i get it in Adept Manager, or whats the easiest way to install it, i am not very good at using the command lines
          First and foremost, if you are downloading applications as opposed to installing via Adept Manager, ensure that the downloads are .deb package files (ending with a .deb file extension). These 'deb' packages are designed for use/installation on a Debian based Linux OS, which *ubuntu is. These packages, when installed after downloading, will be listed in Adept Manager.

You will be well served, to ask questions about a package/program that you've found that you are considering using. The more experienced members can advise you as to whether or not you should or should not use the package/program.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thank you ...i will certainly come back and ask

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              yeah, what snowhog said , or even easier just try the simplified "Add/Remove Software" in the main menu

As for scanners, for the most part, Kubuntu has just about all the free scanner drivers there are already built in. Sometimes you need a firmware file that is not included., however.

Try this search engine to find info on your scanner
              or
              try this link
              Thanks for those links. I now have official proof my scanner isn't supported. Kinda knew that, but now that made it for sure. No prob, it was free anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X