This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux becomes the only OS used by the world when

Linux becomes the only OS used by the world wen...i mean it beats all others operating systems(widows)....wen the installations are made easyor userfriendly(such as .exe files in windows).
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%

Re: Linux becomes the only OS used by the world when

I had a hard time getting rid of the Window$ vice. No thx, no more exe for me.
    To use Linux (any distro) u must think Linux.

Regards,

MepisReign
    Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

such as .exe files in windows
      exe files = open browser->find software->download software->(or inseart cd->stop all other applications->wait for cd to start) unzip downloaded file-> stop all other applications (explorer included)->start insatllation->answer all kind of unnescessairy questions pertaining to my date of birth and the color of my socks->reboot->finish installation.

.deb files->open adept/synaptic find package-<apply->install. Period. Or type sudo apt-get install xyz in a terminal. Okay if your software is not in the repos:
      download deb->choose open with gdebi->install. Tar files? Rare but there. Unpack (unzip in windows speak)->read readme->follow instructions in an open terminal.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Really, installing software is much easier on Linux than it is on Windows. Open Synaptic, choose what you want, press Apply.

What Linux lacks is better hardware support, because manufacturers tend to only provide Windows drivers.
        The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

What Linux lacks is better hardware support, because manufacturers tend to only provide Windows drivers.
          That has changed and seems to be changing quickly:
          http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...7110100926RVHW
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by srikar
            Linux becomes the only OS used by the world wen...i mean it beats all others operating systems(widows)....wen the installations are made easyor userfriendly(such as .exe files in windows).
            I doubt you'll find many users (that have used linux for a few months) that would switch back to the 'windows-way' of installing things (or would define it 'easier').

The package repositories offer numerous advantages over installer files, software security and easiness of (automatic) version upgrading...to name just a few.

If a software you're looking for isn't (yet) in the repositories, you can usually find a deb file for the software (http://www.getdeb.net/ is one good place), and install it with a few clicks.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              That has changed and seems to be changing quickly:
              http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...7110100926RVHW
              I know it is, but I'm not talking about graphics. Both nVidia and ATI provide linux drivers. I'm talking about wireless cards, synching devices (most USB sticks/players work, but AFAIK some sport watches that offer data download don't).

I've never had such problems with my hardware, but I've heard several people complaining about it.
              The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                seems to be changing quickly:
                I think this is the key here. Especially now that some pc manufacturers (Dell, Asus) are selling preinstalled linux their suppliers will now be putting more effort into linux drivers. Just in the last year there has been some major progress on the drivers front.

As for when it becomes the only OS I'd say hopefully never. For me the best thing about linux has always been the choice it offers and I'd hate to see its success extinguish OS choice.
                I definitely agree with the above comments that software installation on debian based distros is already superior to windows. A friend of mine who uses mac os says apt-get is the thing he misses most about kubuntu.

Comment

Linux is maturing rapidly, it's evolved in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, and Kubuntu 7.10 is far superior to WinXP, in my opinion. The only thing i miss about XP is not being able to play some of my favourite games.
                  I have no experience with Vista.... and likely never will have.

To be fair, there are glitches - especially with upgrading via Adept -- as some of us found out the hard way, but i don't doubt that that particular problem will be sorted out before the next upgrade is ready... and if it's not, i'll invent a few more sweary-words.

Being the only available OS was the intent of Microsoft, which goal it almost achieved by convincing governments and big businesses that it was The Way Forward, but fortunately it's grip is slipping rapidly, possibly because normal people - as well as governments and big businesses - are realising the benefits of not being tied in to expensive software with expensive updates.

I think that for Linux to be the only OS would be as bad as having only one religion.

Comment

I am still impressed of the ease .deb-files are installed.
                    Today I looked at www.zattoo.com, as I have no TV.
                    To my surprise, they had made a .dev file for installation, too!
                    Two clicks, and it was done :-)

As Microsoft now has to open some of their things (EU), I think we will se many great things happening :-)

Comment

Originally posted by knutschr
                      I am still impressed of the ease .deb-files are installed.
                      Today I looked at www.zattoo.com, as I have no TV.
                      To my surprise, they had made a .dev file for installation, too!
                      Two clicks, and it was done :-)
                      Did not work for me. I have the .deb file at my desktop, Clicking opens in some installer, where some libraries are installed. Can't find anything like the Zattoo I installed on Windows PCs.

Btw., the hardware requirements are indicated way to high.

Comment

I'm relatively new to Linux.

I used to use openSuse and found a couple of things a little difficult to install but in my time using Kubuntu, I've found it extremely easy to install software. Windows isn't exactly difficult but installing stuff on Kubuntu doesn't even require any effort. Everything is pretty much done for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X