Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats in a name? A lot, one would think.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats in a name? A lot, one would think.

Hello folks.
    Dont know if this is a feature request but seemed likely..so...

I'm just wanna mention the names of things, not just *ubuntu but linux in general.

copmpiz, Compiz-Fusion, Beryl..it must strike puzzlement as to what it is to any novice or even power user on first encounter I would reckon.
    Is there a plan to give this awesome 21st century desktop an equally awesome name?

The project when fully stable and easily installed or operated will most probably evolve with the pc's through the touchscreen era which should be in not too long or when the next windows comes out. You know, those screens ON the desk that everyone can operate with their hands.

compiz is obviously perfect for that. But it needs a name. I think that a good name for the 3d desktop as a whole, whether Gnome or KDE or what ever, could make it an "I wanna see that". People, and especially newish pc hacks and the burgourning gotta have it now generation, like the bright and shiny and new.

Look at it this way. The Windows version is Aero, It's not an amazing name but all the blurbs gave me a sence of clean and crisp without ever seeing it. And it was pushed (and still is) as the user interface, or an upgrade reason.
    I would not call compiz-fusion/beryl anything as tame as that. It deservers so much more.
    I don't wanna pee on anyones fire here, least of all the devs and decision makers.

They may already have a name but I think it is one of the most impotant "Features" that linux can offer to the Me Generation. After, of course, the OS itself. Whatever linux flavour that maybe. In a marketing sense, to sell (linux) to the market.

Sorry...My theories usually have many holes but I just gotta get it out.

What actually got me started was strigi. Now what the .... is that thing named strigi for or mean?
    Whats wrong with Seeker or something. Mac has Finder I believe. And Beagle sounded kinda cool.
    With names like strigi for a search tool, nobody willl ever "Get it".

There are plenty more application names and I think more attention should go into making names relevant to the intended use and more appealing and; even exciting. And I realise ubuntu is african in origin and some may have meaning there but as an aussie I don't understand.
    And I must add that the 8/3 naming convention died many years ago but just about all apps have useless names. I guess its always been a backwards compatability issue but we did get over the millenium bug. Right?

The twentieth century has gone but its residue will live on forever if someone dont get the ball rolling....he says as he slides back under his rock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because as the worms turns, the bear is unsettled, the penguin should seek his goal. (maxie)

Re: Whats in a name? A lot, one would think.

And I realise ubuntu is african in origin and some may have meaning there but as an aussie I don't understand.
    I see your point. After all you call all your ladies "shiela"
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well, you've pretty well nailed down one of the consequences of the "distributed" nature of the open source development community.

We have to say "community" because there is no "organization". Microsoft is an organization. It is, er, organized. There is direction, control, and an ability to make decisions on matters that have alternative possibilities, such as the names of new products.

In the community, every artist follows his muse. The only direction and control exists with the organization that develops a particular distribution, like Canonical. But Linux, including the *buntus, inherently offer the products of the entire community, so we have many text editors and file browsers, some with more apt names than others. "gVim" -- now there's an obvious product with which to do text editing!

Comment

"gVim" -- now there's an obvious product with which to do text editing!
        As in geevim mom I can write a word!!

sorry just feeling foolish today
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It's no better in Windows. For example, while Word is a logical name for a word processor, what are Excel, Powerpoint, and Access? Of course everyone knows the answer to that, but only because it's ingrained from years near if not in the Microsoft environment. What do you think "AGF" might be? (To save you guessing, it's a rather nice 2d space shoot-em-up)
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I actually really like the random naming of linux. Finally products that don't sound like they've come out of the marketing department (iLinux, iAmarok, ilibdvdcss :P ).

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Microsoft is an organization.
              Don't you mean organism, and a rather predatory one at that?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X