This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inclusion of GUI to change sceen / display resolution

Hello, I've been a Ubuntu user for quite some time, but recently, I thought I'd give
    the KDE desktop a try. While installation through synaptic was simple and painless
    after I installed I discovered that the sreen resolution was set to 1600-1200 and I could
    barely read text.

In order to reset my resolution to something legible, I first had to search google for help, read
    some forum entries, then I had to install xandr and figure out how to use it. All and all it took me
    maybe 15 minutes. It was a very minor annoyance.

But, this is a VERY, elementary function of a window manager, and if you're migrating from Windows or Gnome then you would expect that this would be something that you could change through some
    obvious option in the settings or control panel.

Failing this, there should be documentation in the help files that explain how to change the screen resolution (which, supposedly you can also do by editing config files, but I couldn't find the proper config files to edit) and xandr should be included in the desktop install.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Thank you
    Could a GUI to change sceen / display resolution be included?
    0%
    Could a GUI to change display resolution be included?
    0%

Re: Inclusion of GUI to change sceen / display resolution

"But, this is a VERY, elementary function of a window manager, and if you're migrating from Windows or Gnome then you would expect that this would be something that you could change through some
    obvious option in the settings or control panel. "
    You are right, except in the fact that that functionality is already in the control panel in Kubuntu,

In Kubuntu (or KDE in general) just goto:

K > System Settings > Monitor & Display
    You can select your resolution from any listed.

If you want to do it the old school way, or the resolution you want isnt listed, the file you need to edit is:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Its not difficult. The only thing I think is needed is better detection of the available resolutions. (My 1680x1050 is never detected)

Comment

Re: Inclusion of GUI to change sceen / display resolution

yeah, its usually good to actually check if something exists already before asking for it to be implemented...
      <br />

Comment

Working...
      X