This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observations of Gutsy...

I installed the most recent beta (as of Sept 29 2007).
    Kmenu has entries in it that start with something like this (I removed Gutsy from the machine and went back to feisty so I'm working from memory here)...

_: kmenu entry item Open Office Write (word processor)

The "_: kmenu entry item" part only appears on some menus and not others... hopefully this will be fixed in the final release or it will confuse the heck out of the users.

On editing the menu entries they appear OK, no discernable difference in info compared to those items that do not have the "_: kmenu entry item" prefix.
    Anybody else experience this?

Re: Observations of Gutsy...

You're saying that's what you actually see on the Kmenu, or that is the command behind the GUI?

EDIT: On mine the KMenu>Office list of packages looks pretty much the same in Gutsy as it did for Feisty. I right-clicked on the OO Writer "Word Processor " and here is what it shows for the command:

Code:
    ooffice -writer %U
    So, I dunno -- doesn't sound like yours installed correctly or something :P

Comment

My experience was that not all of the packages were installed. There is a package for debian integration that was not installed by default. Installing that resulted in all 5 main modules being shown under the office sub-menu.

Ian

Comment

Still happening in 7.10 final release:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087647.0

No progress yet in solving the issue.

Comment

I have some views too:

Dolphin is now the default file manager: Dolphin is no where near as functional as the konqueror file manager. I'll have to learn how to return konqueror to the default file manager. Then I'll have to uninstall Dolphin. I really don't understand how someone can justify switching to an awful file manager and then requiring users to learn how to write service menus to get back the functionality of the file manager that was replaced. How long until Dolphin has the same functionality as konqueror and konqueror is gone entirely? Couldn't we have saved a lot of that work and just kept konqueror as the default file manager? I assume tweaking the "inode > folder" file association will solve this problem.

System Settings replaced kcontrol: System Settings is much slower than kcontrol and lacks some of the functionality. Such a radical change in User Interface is confusing to those of us who have been using a distro for years. System Settings is also the first time I've ever had anything crash in Kubuntu. I feel that the tree layout in the left pane of kcontrol was much better than the layout provided by System Settings. I'll have to make changes to my kmenu. How long until System Settings has the same speed and functionality as kcontrol and kcontrol is gone entirely? Couldn't we have saved a lot of that work and just kept kcontrol and not included System Settings? Would there be any harm in doing "sudo mv /usr/bin/systemsettings /usr/bin/systemsettings-origin && sudo ln -s /usr/bin/kcontrol /usr/bin/systemsettings"?

Compiz and Beryl are, in my opinion, nothing more than resource-wasting, annoying toys. Keep them in the repos for those who want them, but don't make users have to switch window managers and then uninstall Compiz/Beryl. After all, KDE does provide a compositing manager (kompmgr) and I have seen it provide shadows, transparency and other effects. I congratulate the Kubuntu developers for not enabling Compiz/Beryl by default.

Comment

I agree with ardchoille's three points. In particular, I can't see what System Settings is about. It provides nearly the same features as kcontrol (but not all) in a less convenient interface.
            Eric

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments regarding Dolphin and cannot understand why it was introduced.

Coudn't we have some sort of "formal" vote on whether Dolphin should be kept or not?

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by sbungay
                The "_: kmenu entry item" part only appears on some menus and not others... hopefully this will be fixed in the final release or it will confuse the heck out of the users.
                The fix to this issue is posted here.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X