This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better printer installs and web cam package

Better recognition of printers, and correct installation of printers,especially the laserjet 1100, the drivers are bad, also it would be nice if the spca5xx drivers were included in the distribution, as this driver sees most web cams.

Re: Better printer installs and web cam package

Wouldn't we all like this

There's some work on HAL being done to detect printers better but improving the drivers is slow and expensive, hassle the manufacturers to help maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by jriddell
      Wouldn't we all like this

There's some work on HAL being done to detect printers better but improving the drivers is slow and expensive, hassle the manufacturers to help maybe.
      I'm fairly new to Kubuntu - as you can see from the number of posts ...:-) - , but I don't think HAL is the issue here. Printer installation in several current testversions of both Ubuntu/Kubuntu (also the 64-bit version) is somewhat flaky, to say the least, due to some misconfigurations in (K)Ubuntu. See my (first) post under Dapper Drake in the Hardware Section (should be software...). After fixing these my printers installed perfectly. HPLIP drivers from HP and the Espson Stylus drivers are fairly good - in every distro.

Regards,

Comment

spca5xx would be a nice to have package for me to get my webcam working out of the box. Now I have to compile this manually and install

Comment

Working...
        X