This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painless WiFi Configuration - PLEASE READ AND VOTE

How about adding a decent network control panel for configuring networking.

I am currently running PCLinuxOS 2007 due to the fact that it is the only distribution of Linux which would allow me to correctly setup, configure, and actually use my WiFi which came with my Acer Aspire 5050-3371 laptop.

All I had to do was install PCLinuxOS 2007, then go into the control panel and tell it to setup a new network interface, I selected WIRELESS, then it asked me for the driver to use with the ndiswrapper and it set it up correctly and without any problems.

I tried every possible how-to that I could find, including the instructions on the ndiswrapper website itself. NOTHING WORKED.

So I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and was SO SURPRISED to find out that it was totally painless.

Now as a Linux user, I can understand the issue that people might have with using a closed source driver to get the wifi working, but as an end user, I need it to work, and so do the other THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people who have computers with network cards that have an Atheros chipset in them.

So on behalf of myself and the community in general, PLEASE add this option to Kubuntu for this next release and have it work CORRECTLY out of the box.

This is a VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE that we NEED.

Thank you

- Jack
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

Re: Painless WiFi Configuration - PLEASE READ AND VOTE

I think it is important to post information on the type of hardware in your system.

In my own experience, wireless networking does work flawlessly in Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I installed Ubuntu on three systems, which had different types of WiFi adapters, and all that I had to do was just type in my WEP networking key, and it just worked.

I do understand that your mileage may vary--which is precisely why it's important to post the information on your hardware that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by luvr
      I think it is important to post information on the type of hardware in your system.

In my own experience, wireless networking does work flawlessly in Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I installed Ubuntu on three systems, which had different types of WiFi adapters, and all that I had to do was just type in my WEP networking key, and it just worked.

I do understand that your mileage may vary--which is precisely why it's important to post the information on your hardware that doesn't work.
      My latop is an Acer Aspire 5050-3371
      The wifi is based on the Atheros chipset, under PCLinuxOS 2007 the NDISWrapper works with the Windows XP drivers using the NET5211.inf and related files for the close source drivers.

using the ndiswrapper with my current install, lspci shows the following:
      02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Ubuntu / Kubuntu does not support this setup out of the box. Neither the 32bit and 64bit version of ubuntu appears to correctly recognize the internal atheros based network card for this specific laptop that I have here.

I have my wifi working now using another distro and for the moment it works for my needs. I'd like to get moved back over to my preferred distro of Linux which is of course Kubuntu.

My point of posting this poll and message was to bring to light the fact that there should be a painless method of setting up wifi without the need for the end user to actually have to install a bunch of additional files, compile source, and things like that.

Most people who are looking to move to a Linux distribution as viable alternative over other operating systems really need to have these kinds of tools available to them by default, without needing to have a solid technical understanding of the processes involved.

I used PCLinuxOS as an example because it has a configuration tool that is painless and "just works" right out of the box for people such as myself who really need it to work. All I had to do was launch the control panel, click the mouse a couple of times and I was online.

For standard ethernet connectivity the installer and configuration tools work great, but with wifi configurations, ubuntu/kubuntu could really use something a little better than what is currently available during the standard install process. If for example I specify that I need to setup wifi, then the system should check and see if it correctly detects the wifi card, and if the driver is available for it, if not then it should automatically ask the end user if they would like to use the ndiswrapper for the card and if so automatically set up the wifi correctly in a manner similar to what PCLinuxOS does with their configuration tool.

I looked over the forums here and at ubuntuforums.org and there are NUMEROUS people who are having similar problems as this one who simply are unable to get their wifi working. If you or anyone else would be interested on working on this issue with me, I have an external hard drive I can hook up to this laptop and we can install kubuntu on for a test bed and we can work through the problems with it. If we can get it working correctly, I would be willing to take the time to actually write a script or small application which would take the pain out of setting this up for people who are having a similar experience as myself.

- Jack

Comment

Frankly, I'm very surprised that you're having trouble. In general, wireless connectivity is one of the most difficult hardware problems in Linux. There are a plethora of wireless chipsets. Manufacturers attempt to keep their workings proprietary and provide information only to M$, under non-disclosure agreements. As a result, Linux has to rely on hacks (in the good sense) like Ndiswrapper. Atheros chip sets, however, are supported by a program called "madwifi". Here is the Madwifi page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

Comment

madwifi doesn't work with the newest version of the atheros chipset that came in my aspire 5050-3371.

the lastest ndiswrapper version does work from the ndiswrapper website, the package available in ubuntu repositories does not work with it though.

That is what I am using with ubuntu. However, it isn't flawless and it isn't using an open source solution since it is still using the closed source driver.

It works. But it isn't the ideal solution.

Comment

Hi, Guys! I think Kubuntu has a lot of great features, the update, the download of critical (or not) applications... but I miss a good, complete and easy to use Control Panel like some other distros have. This is not only essential to configure, say, wifi, but change keyboard, monitor, etc., settings easily.
            If anybody knows a short-cut or have hints, please, post it.
            I was trying to change keyboard settings on a laptop and just couldn't (maybe I'm just too new in Ubuntu world :P ).
            Cheers.
            Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
            GNU/Linux user #451206
            (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

My experience is WIFI working right out of the "box" (Oldish Lifebook & SMC PCMCIA Card that is supported - Atheros)

Knetwork manager, by and large is ok, but I can't find any way to make a prioritized list of networks - like my own home at top, the Town Square Communal, The Community Library, The nice guy at this address or that.

Instead it seems to suppose that the first network found should be at the top - if it is available it will be chosen, even though it is not very good.

Yes, a very minor annoyance, but nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalo Velasco C.
                Hi, Guys! I think Kubuntu has a lot of great features, the update, the download of critical (or not) applications... but I miss a good, complete and easy to use Control Panel like some other distros have. This is not only essential to configure, say, wifi, but change keyboard, monitor, etc., settings easily.
                If anybody knows a short-cut or have hints, please, post it.
                I was trying to change keyboard settings on a laptop and just couldn't (maybe I'm just too new in Ubuntu world :P ).
                Cheers.
                I find System Settings (the Kubuntu default control centre) very useful for quick changes, and so I keep it in my kmenu, however the standard kcontrol application is still available. You can edit you kmenu and replace System Settings with it. I, for one, like quick access to both it and it's modules, so I placed the Settings Applet on my panel. Which you can do by right clicking and selecting 'add applet to panel'. I'm not sure if the kcontrol really helps that much for Wi-Fi, or if that was really what you were looking for, but I thought I'd at least toss you a bone.

Comment

I have a "Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN minicard" built in to my computer. Does anyone know a way to set up Kubuntu to make this card work? Detailed instructions would be awesome. Thanks.

Comment

well, my wi-fi work ok. though most of time i have to go to the config manager. it's some intel chipset, can't remember exactly which one.

But, i have only options for wep. where are wpa and wpa2 ?

Comment

Works out of the box for me.....
                      I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

i agree with & understand what you(zipperback) are concerning, but should not just limit to wireless. It is very important to make every basic features work out of box in the release especially graphic, sound, wireless....

But unfortunately, just like what askrieger said, "Manufacturers attempt to keep their workings proprietary and provide information only to M$, under non-disclosure agreements." Therefore, it is hard to deal with that.

In the forum of network support either in kubuntu & ubuntu, we can see many users seem have wireless issues especially Wifi N, wpa, wpa2 not working and so on. This always happen on some of uncommon brand chips.

I am also wondering that the program, knetworkmanager appears to be not fully tested in Gutsy before it was released. Many people seems have got similar problems when setting up the network in Gutsy, but not in Feisty as we can see in the forum. I have no exception about that, i am using intel wifi, the WEP seems does not work for some reason in Gutsy.

Comment

As long as proprietary hardware exists, and the source code for it kept out of the public domain, we are always going to have problems getting Linux to 'work out of the box' with some hardware. It's unfortunate, but that is how it is. :P
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            As long as proprietary hardware exists, and the source code for it kept out of the public domain, we are always going to have problems getting Linux to 'work out of the box' with some hardware. It's unfortunate, but that is how it is. :P
                            In regarding to proprietary hardware, I also want more hardware manufacturers to release linux drivers for their products as well not just for m$ windows & apple mac as their drivers are usually better in performance & functionality, so that we have choices to choose whether we use it or not as manufacturers should not ignore linux users. I know even though the linux driver from the manufacturers are ready, they cannot be included in the release of the linux due to any proprietary drivers cannot be included in linux. Therefore, "working out of the box" is still too far to go. But by achieving this, we can at least manually install them & make it to work out of the box easily. 8) At that time, hardwares are not just work in linux but also have great performance & functionality, just like as good as in M$ windows

I really hope that one day it will come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              Isn't there another possibility? Graphics drivers are being fetched from ATI and NVIDIA at boot if one of those cards are found in the PC at first boot - or a new one put in.

I can't see why something like this could not be possible for those WIFI chips/manufacturers that want to keep their secrets?

Comment

Working...
                              X