This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair function

This is not really a application request, but...

I would like to see a real repair/rescue function on the alt and live installation cd's.

Something like repair/rescue functions suse, fedora, pclinux, etc. use.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Repair function

For those of us who are not familiar with the specific features of the distros that you mention, can you describe the repair/rescue functionality that you want?

Comment

Okay. I'll take suse as an example.
      It has been a while since I have used suse, so I might stray on a few details
      If you boot from the install cd you will have yast (yet another setup tool) asking you what you want to do.
      You can choose install, update/-grade or repair(rescue). With the repair function yast checks your installation and tells you what it thinks needs to be done. This can go from reinstalling grub to reconfiguring xorg, repairing HD issues etc. You then have the option of letting yast do its stuff automaticly, by choice or doing it manually from command.

Fedora and mepis and I believe pclinuxos offer similar functions.

This may not be something one needs everyday (at least I hope not) but it is usefull if one screws something up and doesn't want to do a complete reinstall and does not understand those commandline functions (which is the case with most linux converts) completely.

4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Good point. I agree. Repair/rescue would be a great addition.

Comment

Failing a repair function, maybe a grub repair function would be a good idea. It looks like (k)unbuntu will stick with its UUID philosophy which means that every time someone adds, remove, merges or resizes a partition they have to reconfigure fstab, grub/menu.lst etc. and/or reinstall grub. Which can be a pain in the proverbial if you don't know the command line, etc
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

i always looked at the live discs (now integrated of course with ubiquity) as my "repair" method.
            but i get what you mean...
            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              Failing a repair function, maybe a grub repair function would be a good idea.
              MEPIS has one. As open source it could be copied into kUbuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                Failing a repair function, maybe a grub repair function would be a good idea. It looks like (k)unbuntu will stick with its UUID philosophy which means that every time someone adds, remove, merges or resizes a partition they have to reconfigure fstab, grub/menu.lst etc. and/or reinstall grub. Which can be a pain in the proverbial if you don't know the command line, etc
                I have tried supergrub which is a grub repair system that can be loaded onto a CD.

M.

Comment

Yes, supergrub is great but is useless with changed uuid's
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I totally agree wioth you Fintan, a repair feature, more than necessary!

Comment

Working...
                    X