This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventrilo and wine

I had been trying to work with ventrilo and wine to see how I can make it work, and after a few weeks, I have finally got it working.

First of all, having wine installed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Now we download the executable file from http://www.ventrilo.com
    Assuming it was downloaded to the desktop, we run the next code.

Code:
    wine /home/<username>/Desktop/ventrilo.exe
    and now we follow the next guide's steps.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rnTo=&iId=3936

HOWTO Ventrilo 2.3.x

1. Install Wine 0.9.26 (confirmed)

2. Install Ventrilo Client 2.3.2 Beta 3 or 2.3.0 Stable (both confirmed)

3. Copy the file msgsm32.acm from the system32 directory of an existing Windows installation (XP confirmed), or download it from the net at http://members.driverguide.com/drive...?driverid=7019 Place it in your fake windows drive under the ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system directory

4. Edit your ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini file and add the following line under the drivers32 section:

MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm

5. Start ventrilo.exe from your fake windows drive and create your user profile.

6. Enter the Setup section of the program and disable all DirectInput options available. Turn on any DirectSound settings to be able to hear multiple voices at once. You may have to set your mixer settings as well if they don't automatically fill in. To enable recording from your microphone, set your Line input in your hardware mixer settings to mic. You can test your mic by pressing the Monitor button. If you choose to use a Push-To-Talk key, you must disable "Use DirectInput to detect Push-To-Talk". This will allow your mouse to work inside the setup dialog again.

7. Go! Go! Go!

Known Bugs:
    - Ventrilo window must be active to talk using Push-To-Talk
    - Text-to-Speech does not function (libraries probably just need to be installed, will research)
    - aRts and ESD drivers do not function properly

Re: Ventrilo and wine

Now I am having a problem with Ventrilo, I have to have the program window focus in order for the Push-to-Talk to actually work, I have been reading ways how to make this work, but has anyone had this fixed?

Comment

Re: Ventrilo and wine

I totally agree, I have used Teamspeak for years and have loved every minute of it but recently everyone I know in clan gaming is using ventrilo.

Btw, I checked out the ventrilo homepage recently and the new forum has a linux section. However there is no news to speak of and you can't post in it but is major progress compared to what used to happen on the ventrilo site (ie mention linux and get your post flamed or ignored).

Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain
      ==================
      Advertisement links removed by Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X