This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth crashes KDE at startup [SOLVED]

Although it worked fine as recently as two weeks ago, Google Earth now crashes my desktop as soon as I OK out of the splashscreen (it pauses waiting for me to acknowledge that a new version is available). I haven't made any changes to my system, other than letting Adept run its updates.
    Kubuntu 7.04
    AMD 64 x2, 2GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT, 512MB RAM
    Nvidia driver version 169.09

I don't know if this is relevant, but typing
    Code:
    glxgears
    in Konsole produces this error message:
    Code:
    Error: glXCreateContext failed
    I also tried installing the new version, but same result. I saw the thread about installing via Adept using the Medibuntu repositories, and the installation went fine, but starting the app still gets me right back to my login prompt. That's the version (4.2, I think) that's installed now.

Any ideas?

Re: Google Earth crashes KDE at startup

I don't know if the failure to run GLX is directly connected, but it does show that your Nvidia driver isn't doing its job.

Here's some guidance that is relevant -- get EnvyNG installed and use it, and at least you'll have GLX. Maybe Google Earth will work too!

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5185#msg135185

p.s. Leave Restricted Drive Manager closed......

Comment

Re: Google Earth crashes KDE at startup [SOLVED]

Thanks, dibl, I knew you'd come through. I can't install EnvyNG because I'm running Feisty, not Hardy. But I had Envy clean and then install the driver, and now Google Earth and glxgears are back. I had messed around with installing nvidia-glx-new and some other stuff and managed to kill the X-server completely. What a blessing that Envy runs in rescue mode.

Comment

Re: Google Earth crashes KDE at startup [SOLVED]

Cool -- good to hear!

Yes, if I ever get a tattoo, which is unlikely, it will be on my forearm and say
        Code:
        sudo envy -t

Comment

Working...
        X