X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Error in Synaptic! Please Help!

When I start Synaptic, this is the Error message I receive:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
    E: Error occurred while processing plucker (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What does it mean and what do I do about it? I don't even know what "plucker" is!

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Strange Error in Synaptic! Please Help!

try the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    to clean your local cache of retrieved packages.

out of curiosity...
    what's a debian repository doing in your apt conf file?
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

jankushka;

Okay, I did the apt-get clean... no joy! I still have the same error message.

To answer your question, I installed a driver for my HP Scanjet 3970 from that particular Debian repository. Since Kubuntu can install deb packages natively, I don't understand why you're surprised. Do you think I should just delete that entry from my apt conf file?

Mark
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

yes, adding repositories not specific to (K)Ubuntu will seriously cause apt/synaptic/adept to go nuts, at the very least as it is trying to figure out the different dependencies and files for two separate (though related) distros). It can also bung up your system as there will be different versioning of apps/libraries between the two distros. You can always try installing individual debian packages, that way at least you will only have to uninstall that package if it is problematic

I would definitely remove the Debian repo from your sources.list

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2
          Since Kubuntu can install deb packages natively, I don't understand why you're surprised
          Originally posted by claydoh
          adding repositories not specific to (K)Ubuntu will seriously cause apt/synaptic/adept to go nuts, at the very least
          this is why i was surprised.

follow claydoh's suggestion.
          before you end up in dependency hell.

cheers.

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
          X