This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strigi: what is it supposed to do?

I note there's a tray icon for Strigi. I click it and get a text field. I assume I am supposed to type the search criteria.

I do that. There is a delay and Konqueror opens with a nice blue screen featuring a link that says "Start Daemon"

I click the link. What's supposed to happen now? I see Strigidaemon features heavily in the "top" ten list, consuming around 80% of the CPU cycles. , but apart from that not much else seems to happen.

Cheers

Re: Strigi: what is it supposed to do?

First and foremost, Strigi is a resource HOG! Almost everyone disables it immediately. It's supposed to speed up 'desktop/PC' searches. To do this, it indexes EVERYTHING! And, the index file gets HUGE.

At a minimum, go into K Menu | System Settings | Advanced | System Services, click on the Strigi daemon and uncheck Start during boot
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,
      First and foremost, Strigi is a resource HOG! Almost everyone disables it immediately. It's supposed to speed up 'desktop/PC' searches. To do this, it indexes EVERYTHING! And, the index file gets HUGE.
      Thanks for the feedback. I've just followed the issue up a bit on google and have decided to remove it.

It's a shame we there's no decent (IMO) "file find" for KDE. It all seems to cumbersome when compared to the two other major OSs.

Cheers

Comment

You can, from the CLI (command line) use sudo find -name file

This is very powerful. You can use wildcards (? *) and other bash pattern and pattern matching options.

Comment

Insert Quote
          You can, from the CLI (command line) use sudo find -name file This is very powerful. You can use wildcards (? *) and other bash pattern and pattern matching options.
          Yea, I know. But I'm the GuiGuy

Seriously though, what I meant was that the Windows right-click on a folder > find > function is extremely useful, even if the HD hasn't been indexed for searching. Maybe something for the KDE team to think about....

Best wishes.

Comment

Okay, I 'missed' that one!

Personally, I like the CLI. GUI's are nice, but (if you haven't already discovered) in Linux, they don't always work 'as expected.' In almost all cases, what a GUI was designed to do in Linux, can be done from the CLI, and often, better and faster, if not more reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Okay, I 'missed' that one!

Personally, I like the CLI. GUI's are nice, but (if you haven't already discovered) in Linux, they don't always work 'as expected.' In almost all cases, what a GUI was designed to do in Linux, can be done from the CLI, and often, better and faster, if not more reliably.
              We're getting in subjective issues here that I'll avoid. Suffice it to say, yes there are things I use the CLI for, but in the main point in click is preferred by me. It's been that way ever since I bought my first Amiga.

Cheers

Comment

kfind is still there, it was replaced in the menu by strigi in Kubuntu.

Strigi, beagle and the like are much much better than the standard kfind, at least once they become a little more mature. In Gutsy, it strigi is not the hog it was in Feisty, and it is fast but the current gui is not good. But these tools are more for documents, etc, and their contents, while the old style kfind is more about directories and their contents. I normally don't use strigi as I don't yet need to use it much

Comment

Working...
                X