This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission issues

Kubuntu has truly spoiled me so far - only a few issues. One of them; permissions. Having downloaded a ttf font I wish to move it to the USR folder to keep the other fonts company. However when I try doing so the 'move here' and 'copy here' functions are grayed out. Thinking its a permission thing I go to user management in System Settings. I'm the only user. The guy who moved me from Mandriva said I didn't need an SU or root account. I look at my groups (about the only thing I can do) and note root isn't one of them. So I make root one of my secondary groups, and try moving the file again. No luck. So I look at my permissions, and it appears I can read and execute from USR, but not write, even as root. Hm. So I try chmod +w /usr. I get the prompt back, but did it work? The w permission only shows up for the owner, not the group or other. Please excuse my rudimentary knowledge, but what am I missing here? the listed permission to /usr is drwxr-xr-x

Re: Permission issues

*buntu incorporates the sudo command to perform administrative tasks.

Edit: Just place "sudo" before any command requiring administrative privileges:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ...
    Enter you're password when prompted, and you'll be good to go for the next several minutes.

Here's some more information on Ubuntu's policy
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I often use a konsole when moving or copying files to restricted folders

eg:
      sudo cp font.ttf /usr/share/fonts/
      or
      sudo mv font.ttf /usr/share/fonts/

Another way to move files around is to run Konqueror as root using the "Run Command" dialog in the Kmenu.

Kmenu > Run Command...
      Type: konqueror --profile filemanagement
      Expand the Options and choose: "Run as a different user" and enter your user password

Comment

The command line option worked nicely. Thank you!

Comment

Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X