This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine problem

I am trying to get QuoteTracker to work in Kubuntu following instructions of someone on QT forum. He says that I must begin by installing Internet Explorer 6.x. I get message that IE installer has detected a later version of IE and will not install. This is probably because I have win2000 installed in a dual boot and installer is able to look on that partition which is primary partition and finds IE 7. Does anyone have any work arounds or suggestions?

Re: Wine problem

Try ies4linux http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Comment

the downside to ie4linux is that it installs IE to a separate wine setup from the normal one used for programs
      See here for some info

wine-doors looks nice, but unfortunately I cannot seem to get it to run in Kubuntu

Comment

claydoh,
        Your link gave very little info on downside of separate wine setup. Are you saying that programs that work with wine and IE 6 installed normally might not work with ies4linux? If so could you suggest a work around to my original problem? I have thought of booting into win2000 and uninstalling IE 7 (tho this might cause other problems/inconveniencies), then installing IE 6 into kubuntu but there may be other alternatives All help much appreciated.

Comment

I run ies4linux and a separate wine setup. While I too would prefer one directory, it does not cause any problem that I can determine. If only all windows apps were are well done as ies4linux.

Comment

with its IE in a different, and separate, wine setup, other apps do not know that the ie4linux setup exists.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469
            list various methods to try installing IE, but , as often is the case with it, different wine versions break in different places, so what works in a forum post or how-to probably won't/maybe won't work in your wine version

another, perhaps easier option is to use vmware or virtualbox to run a windows install and your app that way

Comment

With the amount of time spent discussing it, I would think that by now ahurd would have tried it and could now tell us whether it worked or not. I agree with claydoh that it may not. I give.

Comment

You can try with the Wine Gecko engine, Wine's own ie implementation. To install it, simply type in a terminal:

Code:
                wine iexplore [url]http://www.winehq.org[/url]
                ..and follow the prompt.

Comment

unfortunately,it seems that quite a few windows apps seem to require IE to be installed, so the gecko engine (which works fairly well for steam for example) is not a solution in this case. Luckily, it may be that you don't need a working IE, just having it installed ,from what I have seen in my searchings on this subject, sometimes is enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X