This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bit worried...

I'm a bit concerned about my system. Sometimes, when I boot up, I get a screen that says that I need to do a manual fsck. Fair do's. But then, when I do this, it sometimes says that some nodes need changing. It asks if I want to ignore and suggests yes, so that is what I do, but then it does it anyway, rewriting the nodes that it wants. It's impossible to escape this as it won't book without doing this first. Having done this, it does seem to work normally again.
    Is this normal kubuntu behaviour or completely terminal for my laptop. I'm a little worried.

Re: bit worried...

Your ext3 filesystem has a default full filesystem check (fsck) every 30 boots -- this is totally normal. You can change that number.

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/10/...eck-at-bootup/

However, there's a reason for fsck, and the reporting of errors is something to be taken seriously. Make sure you do a proper "graceful" shutdown, using the logout/shutdown menu, every time you shut down your system. The "power" button on your laptop should not ever be used to shut it down -- that is a common cause of filesystem errors.

Comment

Working...
    X