This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECORDING .SWF files

Hi all. I was wondering if there is a application that can be used to record flash movies off the internet. I have online lectures that are posted on WebCT that I would like to record and have as reference. Can someone help me out. Thanks in advance

Re: RECORDING .SWF files

First things first: .swf is not a flash movie, but a shockwave clip - Shockwave doesn't work in Linux at all (see here).

The movies you are likely talking about are .flv files. Even though there are windows apps (Flashget or something like that), I never really used them in windows - it's just so much easier to just go to the cache folder of your browser (~/.[browser_name, eg. mozilla or opera]/cache or something similar. There, just find a single large file with extension .flv or .tmp - sorting the directory's contents by date, extension or size helps a lot Also note the dot before the name of the browser - these directories are typically hidden.

EDIT (added): Once you find the file(s), copy (I wouldn't suggest moving) them wherever you like and change extension to .flv if necessary. Most Linux player will play flv videos just fine, the problem is seeking - in my experience, VLC tends to stop whenever you try to seek a flash video.

HTH
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

I use a plugin with Firefox - Sothink SWF Catcher - which works really well on most things. Download Helper also gets .swf and .flv files and saves them to your hard drive.

Comment

I use "1-Click YouTube Video Downloader 1.1"

When you play an flv, mp4, 3GP or Hd file. it puts some links right below the video. CLick on a link and it starts FF's downloader.
        Download while you play the video or you can ... go to other pages and let it download in the background.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

ffmpeg can convert swf files to another format.

Comment

Working...
          X