Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the full Open Arena become available on Kubuntu??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will the full Open Arena become available on Kubuntu??

I discovered the primitive early version (6.0 I think) of OA in my last installation of Ubuntu. Then I downloaded what I thought was the same game system after finding it for Win XP Pro. But it was the new one, vastly enlarged. Then I downloaded the five extra Map Packs with Bit Torrent and suddenly I was in a whole other world!

But I can't find ANY version of Open Arena in the Adept Pkg Manager. Nor is it available through Automatix or Wine. Open Arena is GONE from Kubuntu, and that's a major flaw for the OS!

Will OA become available next month in the new Gutsy Gibbon release of Kubuntu?? Is anyone on the development team seeing to this? It's a MAJOR oversight, since Open Arena is the greatest open-source software to hit the web since Sun Microsystems' introduction of Open Office!

Re: When will the full Open Arena become available on Kubuntu??

Hi,

I have just been to there website and downloaded the source, but compiling failed on my machine, I would imagine with a bit of playing around and installing some tools with apt-get you should be able to compile Open Arena.

UPDATE: I just did a apt-cache search Arena and OpenArena is listed, so it is obviously one one of my repo's, if anyone knows how to tell which one, I can give you the details of how to install with Synaptics/apt-get
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Comment

Mine too, but I'm too lazy to figure out which repo. (It'd be nice if it told you...)

Anyway, it's one of the official repos. Just open up Adept (Manager) and go to Adept > Manage Repositories. Enable all the "universe" options, and you should see it.
      For external use only.

Comment

openarena is in the universe repository. To see this, search for arena in Adept Manager. Click the > and then click on Details | Additional Information and look at Filename:
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Universe is not a repository in itself, it is just a section of each repository. The repositories are "feisty", "feisty-updates", "-security", and "-backports". (I made the same mistake myself.)
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            (I made the same mistake myself.)
            Then I don't feel so bad!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X