This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing windows files

Hi guys Ive installed Kubuntu earlier today, and im running dual boot with Vista. And i like Kubuntu so i was wondering is there any way i can access my windows files from Kubuntu?

Re: Accessing windows files

It was pretty easy when I followed the instructions from the following url.
    http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=675

Comment

well, this one worked for me (maybe a quicker solution):
      go to console and do
      sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt -t ntfs -o umask=0222

'/dev/sdb1' is name of ntfs(windows) partion on my system.
      to find out on yours go to settings -> advanced -> Disk and filesystems.
      find out the name of ntfs partition (it doesn't say ntfs) but if you know the size of your ntfs partition you will find it. then replace '/dev/sdb1' with it.
      Your windows partition will be mounted on /mnt. go there and access the files. works for me.

that is mostly suitable if you once a while need to access windows files.
      if you want to make it permanent mounted you probably need to do more then that.

Comment

Originally posted by ryy705
        It was pretty easy when I followed the instructions from the following url.
        http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=675
        Used this link myself last night. I had already had my Windoze Vista partition set up 'read only' but this allows me to write as well, should I want/need to.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Slajan
          go to console and do

find out the name of ntfs partition (it doesn't say ntfs) but if you know the size of your ntfs partition you will find it. then replace '/dev/sdb1' with it.
          Your windows partition will be mounted on /mnt. go there and access the files. works for me.

if you want to make it permanent mounted you probably need to do more then that.
          Thx it worked, but there is just a little problem, i cant see the stuff i have in: "Documents and Settings"

Comment

Use Automatix2. It helps you install extra apps, non-free stuff and the sort. It is an easy way to get NTFS read/write support, and automatically mounts all your ntfs partitions. The instructions are somewhere in this link: http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfec...top_ubuntu7.04

It's really a great tutorial.

Comment

But Automatix is a horrible tool.

If you already have the partition mounted, there should be no problem... Are you getting an error message, or is Documents and Settings empty?
              For external use only.

Comment

Search the forum for the horror stories of users who had Automatix mess up their system. You are going to be a lot better off sticking with Adept Manager and/or Synaptic as your package managers.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Slajan
                  go to console and do

Hi! This worked for me as well. But as another user pointed out, I am not able to list/access files from 'Document and Settings' folder.
                  And, if I wish to unmount the windows partition, how do I do it? Especially, since I was dumb enough to mount it right into /mnt, and not in any specific /mnt/winpartitions folder...
                  Am a total newbie to Linux, so please help. Thanks a lot in advance.

HP Pavilion Tx2000 Tablet
                  AMD Turion 64 x2
                  Dual Boot with Windows Vista

Comment

Code:
                    sudo umount /dev/sdb1
                    should do the trick.

Comment

Oh, that helped. Thanks a lot.

Comment