This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update problem

i had a update this mornin that had something to do with the network. after getting the update i had to shut my computer while i was outside since my granson is here. any ways, when i came back in i turned on my computer and now i cant get online.i am using the kubuntu live cd and i can also get online with my wifes winblows computer. short of wiping my system clean and starting over what can i do or check?

Re: update problem

update...

i got searching around and found the problem. i had installed guarddog a few days ago and deleted it or at least i thought i did. when i stopped it i could get back online. i am now searching for guarddog so i can finish getting rid of it.

Comment

Of all the problems you're likely to have as a new Linux user, spyware or unwanted hacks of your system are among the least likely.

Comment

dibl, go and get some sleep man, it's 5 in the morning....J/K.......

MepisReign
        Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

meh - got some kind of ear infection, and the pain meds wore off at 4:00.

Thankfully, there are always Kubuntu users in trouble!

Comment

even tho i deleted guarddog with adept manager when i go to system services its still there.
            how do i go about getting rid of it? i did a search and came up empty.

Comment

Probably it is still running from the last time you booted. You can either open KMenu>System>Sysguard and then open the "Processes" tab, scroll down to guarddog and "kill" it, or else reboot your system if you want to make sure that it is actually gone permanently.

Comment

Ugh, I hate ear infections. I get them all the time. Fortunately, my eardrum has only burst once... Very painful.

Anyway, the simplest solution would be to open up Guarddog, go to Advanced, and define a protocol from ports 0-65535 on TCP, another on UDP, and then go to Protocol and enable that protocol in both directions. It won't filter any traffic this way.

Of course, that still leaves Guarddog sitting around...
                For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                X