X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent File Explorer

Heya,

I am trying to find a decent file explorer for Kubuntu. I find Konquerer completely kludgy.
    I have thought about XFE but I understand that is a completely new desktop.

Anyway - as much as I don't like what Windoze stands for - I really like their windows explorer.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
    Andrew

Re: Decent File Explorer

Take a look at the Dolphin file explorer. It mimics win explorer and will be the standard file explorer in KDE4 if I'm not mistaken.
    http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/

Comment

If you go through the settings and views options, you can come close to what you had with Windoze Explorer.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you're looking for something like Windows Explorer, Konqueror would fit perfectly. Dolphin, at least on KDE 3.5.x, is even less powerful than Nautilus (in some ways).

What issues are you having with Konqueror? Perhaps we could help.

By the way, another file manager is Krusader, although it's more in the tradition of Norton Commander or Midnight Commander.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Why not try something new, like Krusader, I like it cause I've been using those programs for a long time, unfortunantly I fail to see that it can compete with Total Commander, but it's the closest I can get.
          / Samme<br /><br />- We came to wreck everything! God sent us!<br /><br />

Comment

THank you all for the suggestions - I will try them out when I get home.

Andrew

Comment

Yep, file viewers and text editors are what Linux has zillions of. Thunar and Midnight Commander would be two more.

Comment

Rox-filer. Stripped, simple and fast.

Just my 2 cents.

eriefisher
                ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Does anyone know whats up with the cut-and-paste option in Dolphin. Like i cut a folder on one hard drive and dump it on my desktop and its appears to have been moved fine but the original one is still there but shaded. Am i the only one getting this?
                  Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--&gt; # 15709

Comment

Am i the only one getting this?
                    No - this is one of known problems in the kde3.5 version of dolphin.

There are others like: dolphin can't open folders which contain # (folder1 is good but folder#1=> The file or folder /folder does not exist). Konqueror works ok.
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There is a relatively more maintained "fork" of Dolphin named D3lphin, which is the version that Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy will ship with. It includes some additional patches that try to catch up with the KDE 4 version of Dolphin.

1. Cut & Paste doesn't work, but Drag & Drop Move does. I can reproduce this. The problem happens regardless of whether you cut from another hard disk or drive. As long as you cut from one Dolphin window and paste in another window, the bug can be reproduced.

2. folder#1 displays fine on D3lphin/Dolphin in Gutsy.
                      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

2. folder#1 displays fine on D3lphin/Dolphin in Gutsy.
                        Interesting - tried in feisty with d3lphin_0.9.2 => The file or folder /folder does not exist.

Package from https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin
                        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I was having a look at dolphin. can any one tell me how can I make it my default file manager? Right now konqueror is my default file manager...

Comment

Rog131: Ah I see what you mean now. Although I don't know what I'll be able to do about it this time

Rex: You can wait for Gutsy in October since that will be the default file manager.
                            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

On setting Dolphin to the default file manager:
                              In Konqueror, go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > File Associations. In here, any item with "Konqueror" as the top application (in Application Preference Order, on the right) should be changed to Dolphin. Shouldn't really be anything beyond inode/directory and inode/system_directory.

EDIT: You'll probably have to define a new entry for Dolphin. Shouldn't be too hard, just base it off the existing Konqueror one.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X