This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding LAME.....

Can anyone verify what I just read on this link?
    http://knowledgesquirrel.vox.com/lib...mp3-farce.html

Is it true that Kubuntu can't get LAME for MP3's?? I'll have to abandon Kubuntu and/or KDE altogether if it's true! In my line of work, MP3's are essential and I was able to make them without any trouble in Ubuntu/Gnome.

...and just in case you're going to ask, OGG is not an option.

Re: Regarding LAME.....

That's a load of @#$@#!!!
    Kubuntu isn't confined to ogg, only the author did not bother to look for a solution.
    All you need is in the repos (though you need to enable a few extra ones) and easy to setup.
    When you start amarok and try to play an mp3 a popup will inform you that mp3 support is not installed yet and will offer to automatically install it (you do need an internet connection).
    As for lame, it is in the repos as is everything you need for encoding, so no problems there.

EDIT: Ok, I got a bit carried off
    You say you had no problems in Ubuntu/Gnome; well, Kubuntu just uses a different desktop environment, you'll be able to encode just as easily

Comment

YAY! I finally got it. I read some other posts and used Synaptic (not Adept) to find the missing LIB file.

It's working now with Audacity and I can export MP3s.

Strange thing.... I tried the Amarok route first but when it would display the dialog box stating that MP3 wasn't supported, it would lock up and go no further. Maybe Amarok should be uninstalled and reinstalled?

Thanks!

Comment

No that's an issue with amarok. I had that problem too, and if you search the forum, you'll see that others also had it. Nothing to do with reinstalling it. You just need to install the neccesairy packages through the repos instead of getting amarok to try to install them automatically.

Comment

yeah, for some reason its a million times more simple than ppl initially think, considering all the threads i see for this "issue"....
          <br />

Comment

Working...
          X