This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Beryl

Whenever I start Beryl, my screen turns monochrome and cream colored and then nothing works. I just have to restart the computer.
    As to deserving, know that the gift of Heaven is free; this gift of Knowledge is so great that no effort whatever could hope to 'deserve' it.

Re: Help with Beryl

Sounds like the infamous "white windows with Beryl, on an ATI Radeon graphics chip" problem.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084816.0

Assuming that's it, you may need to install an AIGLX-capable driver. There are many posts on this forum and Ubuntu forum on how to fix your situation.

Comment

Envy is also in the Adept Manager too. Anyway after downloading it and trying to get it to work it says

python pulse.py ati
      root@Irmis:/usr/share/envy# python pulse.py ati
      ENVY ERROR: ATI card not found

As to deserving, know that the gift of Heaven is free; this gift of Knowledge is so great that no effort whatever could hope to 'deserve' it.

Comment

Bummer -- that is not a hopeful little message. I'm a big Envy fan too -- I don't think I've ever heard of it failing so miserably.

When you open your System>KInfoCenter panel, what does it say your graphics hardware is?

Comment

VGA compatible controller; Intel Corporation Mobile Express Integrated Graphics Controller was the only thing I found that mentioned graphics so that has to be it.

Comment

You don't have an ATI graphics card, do you?
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              You don't have an ATI graphics card, do you?
              Apparently not. Forget Envy, and forget I mentioned ATI, this is a whole 'nother problem.

That "Mobile Express Integrated" is a series of chips. It would be helpful to know which it is. That said, I think the first choice would be the
              Code:
               xserver-xorg-video-intel
              packaged driver, which I have used successfully, and if that doesn't work then it's the "915" driver, about which I know nothing.

So, remove Envy with the Adept Manager, and select the xserver-xorg-video-intel package for installation, and then restart your xserver (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and let's see how you fare.

Comment

I think they are called 945GM/GMS/940GML Now to try Plan B

Comment

This is more about Beryl than your 945GM, but buried in here it looks like the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver is indeed the one you need:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=intel+945

Comment

Thanx for all your help, I tried it all but so far nothing. I guess no Beryl for me...I just can't have nice things. >

Comment

I think snowhog got Beryl working with that card. I'll see if I can point him your direction.

Comment

While we're waiting for someone who actually knows, open your Adept Manager, mark that "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package for removal, and mark the one named "xserver-xorg-video-i810" for installation. After it is installed and you are out of Adept Manager, you'll have to change the driver name to "i810" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so your "Device" stanza looks like this:

Code:
                        Section "Device"
                        Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
                        Driver "i810"
                        BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
                        EndSection
                        Don't change your PCI bus number if it happens to be different than the example.

Then do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and let's see what kind of a display you get.

Comment

No display, no GUI for me, just one big Konsole screen.

Whenever I try to do something that would make somthing gui like pop up like Konquerer of kate it says "Cannot connect to X server"

Using Midnight Commander I went back to check the file, thought I mighta made a typo, and everything is ok.
                          Was I supposed to leave: Option "UseFBDev" "True" as it was, cause I did, but just making sure.

Wow all that work in Putty on those MUDs actually had real life applications, who knew?

Comment

How about posting the output of "grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log && grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
                            For external use only.

Comment

Back now. Woo hoo! I fixed it with the MC. I looked thought the file for another occasion when it asked for the name for the Video card again. And sure enough the second time its mentioned it was still set as "Generic Video Card" So I changed that to agree with the other change and restarted and I have GUI again.

Comment

Working...
                              X