This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zombie tasks

When running the command 'top' on a shell, I may see, sometimes, one or more zombie tasks. The info is given as a number 'x Zombie'.
    Is there a way to list or identify those zombie tasks in order to 'kill' them ?

Thanks

Re: Zombie tasks

Read this link. You will find it enlightning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Thank you for your link.
      It is enlightning and I learned many things but still don't know how to identify zombies tasks.
      Code:
      ps -e
      doesn't show any process with the 'z' mark when
      Code:
      still shows 1 zombie...

Comment

"Zombies," "dead parents," "orphans" and "adoptions." Who knew that Linux had so much familial activitiy!!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Playing with top, I finally found my zombie process specifying the user for the listed tasks with 'u'.
          I find quite weird that 'top' gives the zombie info on top along with some other info so that is something important and however there is no way (or none that I know) to list directly and right away the zombie tasks within top to be able to kill them.
          Just a thought anyway.

Comment

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

"ps -eo state,pid,ppid,start,euid,euser,args|grep ^Z"
            Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Working...
            X