This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission Issues On External Hard Drive

When I mount my NTFS partition of my external hard drive it gives me permission issues where root can only access it, I have changed it in the Disks and Filesystem manager in the settings to give permission to me but it still does not, it still gives the permission to root. I have tried to sudo konqueror to change the permission by hand there but it gives me an error that I can not change the permissions as I do not have permissions as root :O .... The EXT2 partition of the hard drive properly gives me permission. Any insight on the situation is appreciated.

Re: Permission Issues On External Hard Drive

Try mounting it with the options "uid=1000,gid=1000" (assuming your UID and GID are 1000).
    For external use only.

Comment

Thank you for the post, but how do I check my UIS and GID and do I put those in the mount options under file system and drives?

Comment

Hm... well, I just played around with the Disk & Filesystems module a bit, and whenever I clicked "modify", if would act as if I had picked the same entry every time.

So, we're going to do this the old fashioned way. Open up Konsole and execute "sudo nano /etc/fstab". Once in, find your external drive (you can probably identify it by its mount point), and add the options to the list of options already there. Beginning, end, doesn't matter.
        For external use only.

Comment

Messing with your fstab file for an external drive seems a little ugly, but is probably an easy fix. Either way, I wouldn't mount an ntfs drive read write without using ntfs-3g, which apparently isn't installed by default with feisty. With your ntfs partition mounted, run 'mount' in the terminal and look for the line with your partition. It probably says 'ntfs' and 'ro' instead of ntfs-3g, which means it's using the normal ntfs driver/module which defaults to read only (and doesn't have good write support anyway).

after you install the ntfs-3g package from repositories:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw /dev/sdX#

will give you read write access as root. The -o rw may not be necessary. You may need to use other options to enable global read write access...

There is also a howto on ubuntuforums. Just google ubuntu ntfs-3g.

Comment

Change that "-o rw" to "-o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000" (assuming your UID and GID are 1000) and you should be able to read/write as yourself (as opposed to root) just fine.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X