This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java on Konqueror

I read <http://www.konqueror.org/javahowto/> after finding that some Java applets wouldn't work in my browser. My problem is that after going to blackdown.org, I clicked on a mirror and was met with a mess of folders labeled JDK-1.1.2, JDK-1.1.3, and so on. Now I am confused as to which thing to click and how to install it - would anyone care to help out?

Re: Java on Konqueror

K Menu > Adept Manager > Search for "blackdown". Install the package named "j2re1.4".

The repositories should be your first source for software.
    For external use only.

Comment

I'd actually recommend sun-java6 packages available via Adept/Synaptic/apt-get - nothing like a .deb package to make installation a snap! (Unless you're interested in development, all you need to select is the sun-java6-bin and the sun-java6-plugin.)

Not only is it lots newer than the previously recommended, but there have been quite a few speed-related enhancements, as well as all sorts of other goodies (mostly geared to developers).

This is not dissing the Blackdown folks - they've provided a helluva great implementation over the years, and I've used them when I didn't have access to a Sun JVM.
      E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.<br />Professional Java Geek<br />Linux User #28251

Comment

when I use the Adept Manager I get only the sun-java6-bin package. where is the sun-java6-plugin you mentioned?

after installing the sun-java6-bin package there is still no working java in konqueror nor in firefox...

I forgot to mention that I'm new to linux at all...so please forgive me the newbie questions.
        I also encounter problems with the x86-64 architecture. for instance the flash installer from adobe doesn't support x86-64...that really sucks. ;-)

Comment

You're using 64-bit? Since I don't have that version, I can't really help out.
          E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.<br />Professional Java Geek<br />Linux User #28251

Comment

Originally posted by invader78
            the flash installer from adobe doesn't support x86-64...that really sucks
            True, but if you install nspluginwrapper using the script by Kilz, you'll be able to use flash anyway ...

Here you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924

Comment

yeah. flash works now with firefox with this script you mentionend. but flash doesn't work with konqueror... but this isn't a drama for me because I'm using firefox as browser.

but the java issue is already straining my nerves, really!

maybe it's better to switch to 32-bit.

Cheers,
              Flo

Comment

A few points:
                • There is no 64-bit Java plug-in from Sun. Use 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Java (yes, they do work on a 64-bit system) if you want Java in your browser.
                • There is no 64-bit Flash, but with nspluginwrapper it is not too difficult to get Flash to work on 64-bit Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                X