This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firestarter

Hi all, apologies if this topic has been dealt with elsewhere............I am a complete newbie regards Linux and open source stuff.................have just installed Kubuntu on a spare machine but when trying to run Firestarter I get this message and havn't a clue as to what to do with it.............

A proper configuration for Firestarter was not found. If you are running Firestarter from the directory you built it in, run 'make install-data-local' to install a configuration, or simply 'make install' to install the whole program.

as far as I recall I just added Firestarter from a list

any help much appreciated.........please be gentle

Re: Firestarter

Strange - Here, when starting Firestarter first time:

Firewall Wizard -pops up.
    Welcomes you to Firestarter and asks settings - you can change these later: Edit > Preferences.

How did you start firestarter ?
    From konsole or from panel ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Strange - Here, when starting Firestarter first time:

Firewall Wizard -pops up.
      Welcomes you to Firestarter and asks settings - you can change these later: Edit > Preferences.

How did you start firestarter ?
      From konsole or from panel ?
      Firestarter requires root permissions to run. You can start it one of two ways.

1. Press ALT + F2 key and type in "kdesu firestarter" without the quotes of course and type in your password.
      2. From the command line or konsole [kmenu-system-konsole]. Just type in sudo firestarter

Personally, I prefer the command line method as it's a guaranteed troubleshooter if something isn't right, say it didn't install properly which I highly doubt to be the case here.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Firestarter requires root permissions to run. You can start it one of two ways.

1. Press ALT + F2 key and type in "kdesu firestarter" without the quotes of course and type in your password.
        2. From the command line or konsole [kmenu-system-konsole]. Just type in sudo firestarter

3. K > Settings > Firestarter

Hmm - Firestarter did add in the K-menu: Settings > Firestarter
        and starts with gksu /usr/sbin/firestarter.
        - gksu is a Gtk+ frontend to /bin/su.
        - KDE su is a graphical front end to the Unix su utility.

kdesu vs sudo:
        RootSudo
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
        Avoid sudo to start graphical programs. You should use gksudo or kdesu to run such programs.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Rog131, but the reason I suggested the other methods is that the Kmenu--System--Firestarter method fails with with an error message as he said in his original post. But thanks for stating the differences between the two commands.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Thanks for the replies

tried the Alt F2 method and got same error message

tried command line and got the following
            Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
            Major opcode: 144
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
            Major opcode: 144
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            /bin/sh: /usr/bin/esd: not found
            /bin/sh: /usr/bin/esd: not found
            strayaway@strayaway:~$

Also cannot open Add/Remove progs and get this message.........even though I am not carrying out any other operations that I am aware of

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.

perhaps I should just do a reinstall and start over

Comment

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one.

perhaps I should just do a reinstall and start over
              Maybe this helps:
              Topic: adept database locked?
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=8001

About errors:
              Topic: X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7964.0

About package managers:
              Topic: benefits and disadvantages of synaptic instead of adept in Kubuntu
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5933.0

Comment

Cheers again...........not sure what it was all about but a friend installed the o/s for me and I didn't pay enough attention..............reinstalled the o/s etc myself and all appears to be working now including firestarter

Comment

Originally posted by strayaway
                  Cheers again...........not sure what it was all about but a friend installed the o/s for me and I didn't pay enough attention..............reinstalled the o/s etc myself and all appears to be working now including firestarter
                  And, I suspect, you've learnt a lot more about how Linux works.

As a "friend" of many who's eager to install Linux, I'm always careful to slowly and painfully tell them the (to me) blatantly obvious... there have been far too many horror stories on these forums of "My Friend Installed Kubuntu and now I Can't See the Start Menu and I've Lost Internet Explorer, So This OS Must Be Flawed And It's Screwed Up My Computer"...

Oh, and I'm installing Kubuntu on my girlfriend's laptop tomorrow. Must make sure I check back here to listen to my own advice...

Comment

Working...
                  X