This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept_notifier not working properly?

Hi guys. I've read some of the previous threads about adept_notifier but couldn't see anything about the issue I have (seems like some people have the triangle pop-up saying there are updates available, even though there isn't). My problem is somewhat different - in that adept_notifier won't tell me when updates ARE available!

When I start a new session, I do get the little green blob (think it's an escapee from Blob Wars! LOL) that appears and then disappears two seconds later, clearly indicating that no new updates are available. And if I click the green blob before it disappears I get the usual dialogue telling me there's nothing to update.

However, when I apt-get update from the konsole, there will generally be at least one or two updates available every other day - only then will the triangle appear in the corner telling me I have available updates.

Does anyone know how I can get adept_notifier to actually do its job? There was an adept update available the other day and I was hoping that would sort it out for me, but it didn't...

Re: Adept_notifier not working properly?

For starters (read: for the sake of debugging), you may want to (re-)start the notifier manually:

Code:
    [sudo] /usr/bin/adept_notifier
    Interestingly enough, neither on my "07.04" nor on my "07.10" test system, this is going to result in anything remarkable (- from the main system, I've removed Adept long time ago ...).

Comment

Thanks, Unicorn. I'll give that a go, but can't see it solving much; sure a reboot would restart all processes anyway? I'm not sure. I'll try it, though. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by petersjm
        can't see it solving much
        At least, you could verify my hypothesis which is that the notifier has lapsed into a "digital coma" ...

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
          can't see it solving much
          At least, you could verify my hypothesis which is that the notifier has lapsed into a "digital coma" ...
          Ah, I see. Thanks, yes, I will give it a try tonight when I'm home from work. Thanks

Comment

Hey, here's something. In Adept, Adept (menu) > Manage Repositories > Updates. Check out those options.
            For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but unfortunately neither of them works. Adept still pops up the green "nothing to install" bubble, then crawls back into whatever cave it came out of and hides - even though there *are* things to install.

New question: Is it possible to dump adept_notifier and install whatever is used under Gnome? I forget what it's called in Gnome as it's been ages since I used it. And if I can, do I need to use it in conjunction with Synaptic or can I link it somehow to adept_installer/updater/manager...?

Comment

Is it possible to dump adept_notifier
                One way (of several possible): apt-get --purge remove adept-notifier (beware of the hyphen ...) and replace it by an adaption of this script to your needs 8)

Comment

Thanks, Unicorn. I'll give that a go

Comment

Not sure whether some mates still active in this thread , but'll give it a shot before posting a new one:

I have the similar problem as above, adept-notifier popping up it's green 'nothing to install' bubble at startup, despite there are updates available. The rest of the behavoir as described in petersjm's first post.

Till now, I tried what I picked up from this and some other posts in this forum:
                    - kill adept-notifier process and restart it in konsole, message:

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x6e71c0 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "file_quit"
                    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x6e71c0 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "file_quit"
                    ERROR: Communication problem with adept_notifier, it probably crashed.

-reinstall the whole adept-family, kill adept-notifier process and restart it in konsole results in the same error message

For me this seems to confirm UnicornRiders hypothesis of a "digital coma", but how to proceed now ? That's where petersjm changed to Synaptic, however I'd like to stay with Adept. I'd appreciate any ideas!

Comment

Working...
                    X