This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty gets stuck at boot, says "can not stat resume device file"

Well, I just did some super tricky stuff trying to repartition my primary HD to get all file in one ext3 partition. I succeeded, and Feisty boots fine and I can use it just fine.

Except for one thing...

During the boot sequence, while the pre-mount script is running, Kubunutu hangs with a message like "resume: can not stat resume device file" and it waits for me to either supply the correct "resume device file", (whatever that is) or press ENTER to continue booting.

I can't find this message in any of the log files, and it happens during the boot sequence so I can't copy-and-paste the exact message.

My only theory is that something at boot is looking for the resume image of the old partition scheme, which I'm assuming was /dev/sda6 because that's where my swap partition used to be.

I tried replacing /dev/sda6 with /dev/sda2 (which is the new swap partition) in /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab and every other place I could find it, but nothing changed.

Edit: I looked at the message again; it's actually "resume device file" or something like that, not "resume image"
    Edit 2: My bad; the libcrypt thing was on the line before the resume device line.

Re: Feisty gets stuck at boot, says "can not stat resume device file"

What is your system's response to

Code:
    [sudo] more /boot/grub/menu.lst | grep 'resume' -

Comment

## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
      # defoptions=resume=/dev/sda2

resume=/dev/sda2 should be correct; that is the location of my only swap partition.

Comment

Originally posted by The Music Guy
        # defoptions=resume=/dev/sda2
        Change that to # defoptions= (read: nope) and reboot - and tell us if this is going to make any difference ...(?).

Comment

Nope, nothing happened. It still gets stuck with the same message.

Comment

Working...
          X