X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audacity Alternative in Feisty

Hi all,
    With the Feisty release, the Audacity version in the repos has lost some functionality--no input selector. The folks at Audacity say I need to compile from source. Before I do that, are there any other recommendations for software that can edit Mp3s?
    TIA,
    Jim A.

Re: Audacity Alternative in Feisty

I'm not sure I understand your term "input selector" -- I'm new to Audacity -- ver. 1.2.6 is the first version I've used. But, this "Edit>Preferences> Audio I/O Device" menu seems to let me pick from 6 devices (OSS, and ALSA), mono or stereo, and a lot of channel number choices. What else are you looking for?
    Attached Files

Comment

dibl,
      On the mixer tool bar, there should be a drop down box that allows the selection of an input source such as microphone, line in, etc. Why is this important? Line in allows you to capture any audio going through the sound card. There are audio streams I wish to capture and they listen to later on. In the Audacity help file, search for mixer tool bar and it will explain a little better than I can.
      Jim

Comment

A question of my own, if I may:
        Why is Audacity GUI so ugly in Kubuntu? When I used openSUSE, Audacity GUI looked like any other GTK+2 app.
        In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

OK, but are you using "Kmix" as the mixer? The mixer sets the input source, and then Audacity only has to do the capture and file processing. The screen shot I put up before is from my Ubuntu 64-bit low-latency system, which I use for audio work, but here is the Kmixer from Kubuntu. It is version 3.5.6, and the "Switches" tab has a drop-down window for input source that offers "line", "front line", and "mic". I have used it to capture audio from a phono turntable (through a RIAA pre-amp), so I know it works. Is this what you need?

Sky -- I agree with you. I wanted to experiment with both 64-bit and Ubuntu, and I must say all that flat orange and brown stuff isn't all that appealing. If I could start over (and avoid sinking dozens of hours setting it up again), I would do my 64-bit low-latency system in Kubuntu. But, Audacity seems to have been given its interface by the Ubuntu crowd, so there you have it .....

At least it works well.

Attached Files

Comment

Here is a solution for GUI.
            In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Interesting -- thanks Skydancer -- I may just give that GUI a look.

Seeing that alternate source listed for the GTK2 package reminds me, have you noticed any weirdness with the Medibuntu source lately? Every time I run the Synaptic updater, I get a "public key" error and it seems to be related to the Medibuntu site that I added (as per their instructions).

Comment

Skydancer,
                Thanks for the link. That fixed my problem completely.

Comment

requires 32-bit architecture -- won't install on 64-bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X