This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Parallels to work on Kubuntu7.04

Hi all and thank you very much for Kubuntu 7.04. I am new to any Ubuntu distro and so am having trouble getting use to "sudo"

I have Parallels 2.2 installed via the .deb on Parallels website and as all the posts suggest, am having trouble getting the drivers to compile. I have investigated the posts here and at the Parallels site and have the new script which is supposed to replace "prlnet.c" However due to the permissions change in kubuntu I cannot use the root/file manager to replace the file, nor can I log on as root because it is not permitted?

Can anyone assist?

thank you paul

Re: Getting Parallels to work on Kubuntu7.04

You can do that in various ways. If you have to edit the file then you can either do:
    Alt+F" then type kdesu kate for the kate editor as root (sudo) or kdesu konqueror for konqueror as root(sudo) the give the password you gave upon install and edit away.
    Conversly you can just open up konqueror as user, navigate to the file you wish to edit and right click->actions->edit as root and give your password. Should there be a little lock on that file then you wil have to use on of the kdesu options above.

This is good and vital reading:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

I hope that helps and welcome, enjoy

Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank you Fintan, appreciate the reply. I will give that a try and also the link for sudo/root you gave me. Let you know how it goes.

penguin7009

Comment

Fintan, thank you very much for the reply. Unfortunately this whole Sudo thing is too much like crippling a good system. I read the link you gave me for the sudo/root thing and as far as I can see sudo just cripples a good system to make sure that dummies can't do something they shouldn't.

I truly believe that folks should just learn how to use root and let it go at that. Pitty, kubuntu is a nice distro, but just too crippled for my taste.

penguin7009

Comment

You can change it "back" and should in "critical" cases.
          sudo passwd -l root, then give it a different (real root) password.

I quess it is a matter of taste. I got used to it and actually like it on my one user system/home network. In the office it is a different matter.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I am having a problem getting the new script from Parallels can you email it to me bob@gjradio.com

Thank you sooooo much

Comment

Working...
            X