X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My iMac is Trying to Steal My Soul

Holy. Freaking. CRAP.
    I've been a mild Kubuntu user for about six months now. It was my second Linux distro, after the Red Hat my dad got me when I was 11 (I never used it >_<).
    So, I've never really had many problems. I first installed it on a G3 iBook, and it worked fine, then an old G3 PowerBook.

But now I'm trying to get it on the Indigo Blue iMac. This model was made in 2000, and had very barebones-ish hardware. Made specifically for the websurfer/document editor. Basically, that joke about the boat anchor is very nearly true.

But every single time I try to install, it gets stuck somewhere along the partitioning stage. Specifically, while it's trying to create the main partition. It just stops.

"Creating ext3 file system for / in partition #3 of IDE1 master (hda)..."
    ^^That is all it says. It just gets stuck between 0% and 29%, and sits there. Eventually, it goes to yaboot, asking what it should boot from. When I hit tab, it shows "Linux", and "old". The default is "Linux", and when I do that it says it is corrupted.

The same error has been re-created multiple times using 3 different (confirmed working) hard drives, with several different RAM configurations, ranging from 64MB to 512MB.

The Live CD gets stuck at a similar stage, I forget what the exact error is. I'll re-create it if you think it'll be useful.

I'm working on my 12" PowerBook G4 right now, which I'm about to re-partition and create a Kubuntu/OS X dual boot for. Thanks to the Live CD, I know it works on this computer.

-Tabor

P.S. First on these boards, and I'm enjoying myself! Great forum everybody, I look forward to hanging around here.

Working...
X