This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Connection over internet

I've been reading through and saw different opinions/suggestions.

Currently at work we use a Windows program called TeamViewer (www.teamviewer.com) that is very easy to use and there's no need for any installation on the client, just execute an EXE file and the client program runs and in memory but doesn't leave any footprint on the pc.

On the other hand, I have the remote control piece on my laptop where I can easily connect to my client servers at work from home without any vpn access. The program uses port 80 if I'm not mistaken.

The thing is that Teamviewer only supports Windows and MAC, no plans for Linux.

I have my Kubuntu v8.10 sitting at work behind company's firewall, and I'd like to easily connect to it and remotely control it from anywhere over the internet.

I just started using Kubuntu again (stopped last year in v7.04)....

Suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Re: Remote Connection over internet

ok here is what u need to do if you want to remote control ur kubuntu machine
    first to set up the server...(using kubuntu 8.10)
    1.load up krfb, now you will notice a new icon in your system tray, right click and select restore
    2.click configure.
    3. under network note the port (5900 is default)
    4. under security, you want to do the following , check off allow uninvited connections, and uncheck "ask before accepting uninvited connections", SET A PASSWORD ! , apply then you can minimize the program..

now if you have access to ur router.. at work log in to it and set up a port foward for port 5900 to the ip of you laptop.

the next step is completly optional, but i use it for mine so i don't have to check for the servers ip

set up a free account @ http://dyndns.org set up a dynamic dns relay (this bacisly will check ur ip and give it a hume friendly url) now back in the router you should see an option for DNS
    select dyndns.org as ur server put put in ur username

then on ur client you can connect with a VNC client
    by giving it the address(ip or dns) or the host..
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

at work, I don't have access to any of the routers, only IT.
      I work in the software/hardware tech support area which is independent from IT.

Sometimes I work from home, like today, and usually need to connect to my servers/pcs for whatever reason.
      Currently I have 2 ways in the Windows world:

1.run windows netmeeting on the pc I want to control at work and leave it to accept any connections. Then from home using laptop I establish a AT&T VPN connection to work, then run netmeeting on laptop and enter either name or ip of the pc I want to control.

2.run the teamviewer client on pc I want to control, then from home just simply run the teamviewer remote support and provide the ID teamviewer created on the client.....and done, I am connected (get prompted for password)

Since now I also have a Kubuntu v8.10 system at work, I just want to simply connect and remote control that pc.

Comment

yea i do the same @ my job except i am the IT department with access to everything, with out the router access you can try this.
        you might get lucky if they have Upnp on you should be ok to connect

Comment

so your first suggestion would still be the best knowing I don't have access to the router?
          your last post confused me a bit.

thanks,

Comment

try my first sugestion as far as setting up the server...,
            ok here is what u need to do if you want to remote control ur kubuntu machine
            first to set up the server...(using kubuntu 8.10)
            1.load up krfb, now you will notice a new icon in your system tray, right click and select restore
            2.click configure.
            3. under network note the port (5900 is default)
            4. under security, you want to do the following , check off allow uninvited connections, and uncheck "ask before accepting uninvited connections", SET A PASSWORD ! , apply then you can minimize the program..
            then you can try to connect with a VNC client , first try on another computer in the network (if xp try www.tightvnc.com, as there is a zip that requires no install)point the client to you machines LAN IP (ie. 192.168.x.x is common for LAN addresses)
            if that works then the server is setup correctly.

now assuming that the server is working, you should now goto http://whatismyip.com/ there you will be able to see the external Ip of ur company, try to connect to this address with your VNC client.

Comment

ok, will give it a try.

also, got response from TeamViewer support, they mentioned that TeamViewer runs quite good under Linux wine, as some Linux user gave them this feedback.

never used wine but will look into that as well in the future.

Comment

guys, why when I run the krfb it launches/flickers but I cannot see the program coming up on the display.

It was working fine but yesterday I made a couple changes to the task bar and themes.....wondering if I did something wrong and how to fix it....

When I execute the program there's no icon running in the task bar at all.

Comment

I rebooted and can see the program running but the bar is showing to the left of the screen, I want to move the bar back to the bottom but it won't allow me....

Comment

Working...
                  X