X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ntp

Hi all,

I'm trying to have my computer hook up to a ntp sever through KDE's system settings menu. Every ntp.org, as well as a custom server errors with "Could not connect with server"

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks guys!!!

Re: ntp

Have you tried pinging the servers from a terminal program?

Have you made sure the the NTP package is installed?
    Code:
    aptitude search ntp
    if the 'ntp' package isn't marked with an 'i' next to it, then run:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ntp
    Another thing to try would be to put the straight IP address for a server in.
    us.pool.ntp.org is: 216.14.98.234

HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

Yeah, I have ntp installed. and I also tried using the IP of the servers too. but still the same result.

Comment

Can you ping the ntp servers?
        HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

Yeah, every last one.

Comment

Do you have an active firewall (blocking NTP port 123)?

Comment

I don't have 123 blocked on my router and I'm not using any software based firewalls in Linux (that I know of).

Comment

I just noticed fooling around in the "System Services" portion that ntp is supposed to start at boot, but under the status, it says it's not running. Right clicking and selecting "Start" and "Restart" supposedly starts the app, but the status still shows it as not running. Could this be an indicator of the problem?

Comment

Working...
                X