X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strong wireless connection, programs not connecting to network

Hey folks,

I have the wierdest wireless problem, maybe you can advise:

I am connected to my wireless network and fully logged on, visible via KWiFiManager - full strength etc. However, KNetwork Manager shows no active devices. I have a full redio signal icon in my system tray.

However, my programs will not use the wireless connection! I start Firefox, & get a timeout. I try to browse the network and no connection. It's wierd. I show connection and full radio strength.

Oddly enough, I have no problems when I use the Live CD for Ubuntu. This only happens in Gutsy, Kubuntu.

Any ideas?

Re: strong wireless connection, programs not connecting to network

Go to "KMenu -> System Settings -> Network Settings", click the "Administrator Mode..." button on the bottom-right, and see if your wifi card is detected and if it's enabled. If not, click the "Configure Interface..." button and make sure the "Auto: dhcp" option is checked. If it's not, check it and try to enable your card again. If it still won't enable, run the command "kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces", and replace the entire content of the file with the following:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    #iface ath0 inet dhcp
    Be sure to leave a blank line at the end, and save and close Kate. Then, log out, restart X.org with Alt+E, and log back in. See if you're connected then, and if not, try to enable your wireless device in "Network Settings". If none of those work, let me know.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well done! After re-inserting my WEP password and assigning my default gateway in network settings, all is well.

Thanks for the tip.

Duncan

Comment

Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X