This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Network Problem

OK, so I installed 7.04 over the summer and the wifi worked fine. I was using a Linksys router with RoadRunner from Time Warner Cable. So, then I move into my college apartment and now I can't connect to the internet through the router. I went to my university and can connect to its wireless, and I returned home and can connect there. However, in my college apartment I cannot connect to the internet. The only thing I can think of is because of the weird internet provider my apartment uses. It is called NTC and at the very beginning of the semester I had to make an account and password and all that, but after the first sign in the internet just pops up without having to sign in. When I am in Windows there are no problems connecting, but for some reason in Kubuntu Knetworkmanager cannot connect and gets stuck at 57% and IP configuration. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Wireless Network Problem

but for some reason in Kubuntu Knetworkmanager cannot connect and gets stuck at 57% and IP configuration.
    When that has happened to me, it was usually the way I set up the WEP/WPA (which ever you use) in knetworkmanager and how the router interprets it. What wireless router do you have?

Comment

a Linksys Wireless G router, WRT54G. But, I do not believe that is the problem because it is the same router that I use at my other house and have not had a problem.

Comment

OK. Are you using WEP or WPA? If WEP are you using HEX or and ASCII Key? If WPA, does the router support WPA1 or WPA2? What Protocol is used by the router for WPA? I ask these because just simply using a different provider wouldn't cause your system not to connect. The router to computer connection is handled by the router. We need to isolate what is keeing the router from allowing the connection. Unless it is due to some kind of interference in the apartment.

Comment

well, my roommate is using a router upstairs, but there is not a problem connecting in Windows. The router is set to WEP and HEX key.

Comment

Just bear with me here while I go through this in my head. There is a logical reason. We just have to find it. Hopefully someone else will jump in on this thread.

Comment

First, have you tried doing a manual connection though knetworkmanager?

Right Click on knetworkmanager tray icon. Click on "Connect to Other Wireless Network...". Fill in all appropriate information.

Comment

wow! I am speechless. I just randomly tried it and it worked! I tried for hours with a friend 2 months ago to get it to work and it didn't. I then tried again a couple days ago and it still didn't work. I don't know what to say other than thank you for your time and sorry I apparently was just doing something really dumb.

edit:I am going to restart the computer to make sure. Yep, everything is good.

Comment

Don't feel that way at all. With me @ work that seems to how it always goes! People ask me about something going wrong, I go help them with it and it's working perfectly. I like those kinds of problems. It just helps to go through the motions. Things will eventually work out one way or the other.

Comment

@lthlsnke260

As you don't know what you did, (note taking is very helpful when troubleshooting problems ) but you did say wireless, you might benefit by reviewing gilf's How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Very good How To.

Comment

Thanks, I'll bookmark it in case a problem arises in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X