Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless problems with Dell "Linux" laptop 1420N?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless problems with Dell "Linux" laptop 1420N?

Sorry, I tried searching but running out of time, I need to leave to work soon.

Last night we received a new Dell pre-loaded with Ubuntu for my wife and it's working pretty good but the wireless doesn't connect when I boot it up. I am familiar with Kubuntu on my old desktop that uses a hardwire to the Asus WL500 G Premium router running X-WRT. I never worked with wireless and only enabled it for the first time last evening.

I was having trouble finding things in Ubuntu, so I changed it to Kubuntu and can get the wireless setup working temporarily but when I reboot it will not connect. It seems to be associated with the WEP setting. It saves the setup information but just won't connect, and the laptop is with 5 feet of the router so it gets good signal.

If I go back into the network configuration and switch the WEP from ascii password to hexidecimal a couple times it will eventually connect and all will work , but when it is rebooted I must do it again . This is no good for my wife as this is her first computer and she will be overwhelmed. I want it to work on every boot up so she can run Firefox on the web.

The Dell Linux laptop has Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card according to the sales slip., and when it first booted up in mentioned using some proprietary drivers that can't be easily changed or upgraded. The Asus is set up using DHCP and the mac address to assign the same ip address every time the laptop, much like I do for our Tivo and my desktop - I think that part of the setup is OK.

My first impulse is to just wipe the drive and install kubuntu from scratch to see what happens but after thinking about it, thought no if it was set up by Dell with ubunbtu it must be OK, it's just me.

If anyone is familiar with my setup problem and can give me some instructions on how to set this thing up properly I will be sincerely grateful.

Re: Wireless problems with Dell "Linux" laptop 1420N?

You may want to check out this HowTo. If the link's instruction doesn't work, let me know.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
    X