Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Zoom' ADSL PCI (Resolved - but not as we would have liked).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Zoom' ADSL PCI (Resolved - but not as we would have liked).

Hi.

I've got hold of and have installed the above for broadband connection to the net.

Works fine on Windoze but I've not got a clue on how to get it working on Linux. Before we moved we were on a cable connection and Kubuntu picked up the link with no problems at all. This time (as you may guess) I'm having to link to the telephone line as cable has not arrived here yet.

I've looked at FAQ's etc but canna find anything of any use. Any ideas please?

Many thanks.

Paul.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: 'Zoom' ADSL PCI

Try this:

- press Alt+F2 and run the command:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces
    - If the contents don't look anything like this, replace everything in the document with the following (thanks to gilf):
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    #iface ath0 inet dhcp
    - Then, reboot and see if you have a connection; if not, open System Settings -> Network Settings -> Administrator Mode (button on the bottom-right) and click on your device; click "Configure Interface" and set it to "Auto: dhcp" and "Activate when the computer starts". Click "Enable Interface and see if it connects.

- If it still doesn't want to connect, read over this HowTo and see if it contains any helpful information.

Edit: If none of those methods work, let me know
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

integr8e,

Thanks for the info.

I ran the code and found that the output was exactly as you quoted. I then tried the other suggestions but found that everything was 'ok'.

I followed the 'HowTo' but no success.

The system is picking up my onboard ethernet card and everything above seems geared to that - but - I am not using that because I have the ADSL pci installed.

It appears that the system does not see this and the disk that came with the card does not (as far as I can see) have any unix drivers although it does have Mac! I could not find any help on the Zoom site either although not tried their forum yet.

Any thoughts as to what I could try next?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

What is the product number and model of your ethernet card?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi Again.

According to Windoze it is a:

TE100 PCBUSR 32 bit Cardbus PC made by Trendnet.

Oddly Linux says it is a 'Realtek' device but that could be something else!

Is that enough info - elsewise I will delve into the computer and see what is on the card?

Thanks again.

Comment

I believe you have a Trendnet card with a Realtek adapter; if you have two ethernet adapters (PCI and integrated), they should be labeled eth0 and eth1. What does the command
            Code:
            sudo ifconfig
            give you?
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Hello.

I get the following:

Etho Link encap: Ethernet Hwaddr 00: 14: 2A: 8C: DA: 18
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 15VO Metric: 1
              RX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
              TX packets ditto carrier: 0
              collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 1000
              RX bytes: 0 (0.0b) TX bytes: 0 (0.0b)
              Interrupt: 22 Base adress: 0x6000

etho:avah Link encap: Ethernet Hwaddr 00: 14: 2A: 8C: DA: 18
              inet addr:169.254.5.237 Bcast: 169.254.255.255 Mark 255.255.0.0
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 Metric 1
              Interrupt: 22 Base address 0x6000

lo Link encap: Local loopback
              inet addr: 127.0.01 Mask: 255.0.0.0
              inet 6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric:1
              RX packets: 10 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
              TX packets ditto carrier: 0
              collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
              Rx Bytes: 826 (826.0b) Tx bytes: 826 (826.0.b)

Thanks.

Comment

Alright, could you post the output of the command
                Code:
                cat /etc/network/interfaces
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Hi again.

We get:

auto lo
                  iface loinet loopback
                  address 127.0.0.1
                  netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
                  iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
                  iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
                  iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
                  iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
                  iface wlan0 inet dhcp

That's it.

Out of interest (and so I know for next time!) can you explain what you are looking for?

I've have been looking at more forums and a pci ADSL don't seem to get on too well!!

Thanks.

Comment

I just wanted to see if your computer is configured for your 2 ethernet adapters - which it is - and if they are both detected - which they aren't. I believe your card is PCMCIA, not PCI, but that's OK.

Even though it's not a "wireless" cardbus device, try following the suggestion found on this post:

- Install ndisgtk, ndiswrapper-common, and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (click here for the 32bit version, or here for the 64bit version of ndiswrapper-utils-1.9) using Adept or download them via the links provided and install them manually (you should be able to install them just by clicking their appropriate .deb packages).

- Run the graphical interface with the command
                    Code:
                    kdesu ndisgtk
                    - Insert the driver CD that came with your cardbus device, and click the "Install New Driver" button in the ndisgtk window; click the "Location" dropdown menu which should open a new window containing a tree view of your File System. Click 'File System -> cdrom' (or wherever you have your CD-ROM device mounted) and find the Windows driver (it should end with .inf or .INF). Click it and select "Open" on the bottom-right-hand side of the window; if the driver shows up in the dropdown menu, click "Install". That should install the driver for your ethernet card!

- Open 'KMenu -> System Settings -> Network Settings -> Administrator Mode (button on the bottom right)'; see if the device is listed, and if it is, click it and select "Enable Device". If it won't enable, click "Configure Device" and select "Auto: dhcp" and "Activate when computer starts". Then click OK and try to "Enable Device" again. If it works, you should be good to go! If not, let me know
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Ok - thanks for all the info.

I shall give this a go in a day or two and will let you know how it's gone.

Comment

OK.

I had problems with the dependencies re ndi . . in that the python stuff was missing.

I tried to install those listed but they broke so I went for a new install in the hope that they would 'appear'. They did not so tried manual install (via windoze) but then got more dependency problems - too many to list here.

I think that I may go for a fresh install of the latest Kubuntu release and then work through the missing packages that 'ndi' wants until problem resolved. OR I might just buy a linux recognised router to plug into my ethernet card.

Either way thanks very much indeed for your assistance and I will (eventually) get back with the outcome.

Comment

Re: 'Zoom' ADSL PCI (Half-way there thanks)

Hi.

I finally 'cracked' and invested in a router (Zytel 660R) which Linux saw and utilised without any setting up (my details preloaded in router). The ADSL PCI is now heading for ebay or whatever.

Many thanks for all the help which I worked on for quite a while before giving in!

Gutsy is now fully up to date and running with no problems at all - my next challenge is to get my Nvida card to do what I want and thanks to the forums I have all the info. at hand.

Many thanks especially to integr8e for time and patience.

Happy Xmas - Happy Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                          X