This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

static ip & wireless question

I think question is already answered somewhere,but i cannot find this answer .
    OK. question is next:
    I have static IP and wireless card( Desktop computer). Manually edited configurations file.Card was correctly recognized and works ( iwlist scanning gives list of access points,iwconfig shows correct settings).
    But it does not connect to access point and ping to it returns with response that destination host unreachable.As i understand, static ip does not work with NetworkManager so i turned it off.Does not help.
    If you know where to dig,please help.

Re: static ip & wireless question

You don't need knetworkmanager. Remove it. Use K>System Settings>Network to set up your card.

Comment

i removed networkmanager and knetworkmanager. did not help

Comment

Use K>System Settings>Network to set up your card.

Comment

I know where to set network card properties.I also know where to set them manually in config files in /etc folders. And i also know that all these just does not work. I installed SUSE on this computer and put same settings there.Works from the first try.I want ubuntu because it looks easier to handle(i'm installing it on my son's computer).If anybody has any( useful) idea - please, reply.

Comment

If you had acknowledged that you used K>System Settings>Network to set up your card, I would not have repeated it. When you used K>System Settings>Network to set up your card did you all enter your AP's IP address under Routes? I will assume that you are getting frustrated and take one more shot at helping you. Continue with the attitude and I will cut you loose.

Comment

Yes.Router,default gateway,DNS - all set. right now i can only suspect that (maybe!)
              despite i set that WEP password is hex it reads input as ascii string.Is there any way to check it or set it definitely as Hex?

Update:
              it s not Hex or ASCII key - i switched it on router in a ASCII mode.It is not password at all - i restricted it for a while.Just the same problem: network card looks working .but when i'm trying to ping router - 'host is unreachable' .I give up.

Comment

Working...
              X