X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't maintain wireless connection

Hardware:
    Router: Linksys WRT54G
    USB Network Adapter: Belkin F5D7050 v. 4 (4000)

Kubuntu takes a while to detect but it does and eventually the adapter is 'activated' and I can connect using wireless. But, I discover I cannot connect to my router (192.168.1.1 for Linksys).

Furthermore, I had previously configured for a static IP but I find when I try to use WPA in KNetwork Manager, I can't choose a static ip connection. dhcp is automatically chosen. However, the connection won't be maintained and I have to go through the steps again.

If I try to manually configure the networking/wireless connection, I can manually select a static IP with the wireless but only WEP is given in the GUI. What?!? Where is the option for WPA?!?

I also can't connect to the router to switch the setting from WPA to WEP (to try). It was previously set for WPA .

One more piece of info to add: I was using eth0 for the wired static ip setup but when I use the wireless usb adapter, Kubuntu automatically configures using eth2. This is okay?

Anyway, does anyone recognize the problem here or know how to configure in Kubuntu? I chose the particular Belkin adapter on the impression it was relatively problem-free for wireless configuration.

Re: can't maintain wireless connection

Yeah I have found Belkin Products less then reliable in a wireless LINUX environment.
    Matter of fact I ditched my Belkin router because the WIreless was off and on.

Anyway you need an rt2570 driver just download
    extract the tar..
    go to the dir and read the ReadMe..Just
    make
    make install
    and
    modprobe rt2570

Here are two links one for the download
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/...itle=Downloads

Comment

I think my adapter is using zd1211:

I did this:
      ~$ dmesg | grep zd1211
      [ 15.820000] zd1211rw 2-3:1.0: firmware version 4725
      [ 15.892000] zd1211rw 2-3:1.0: zd1211b chip 050d:705c v4810 high 00-17-3f AL2230_RF pa0 g--N
      [ 15.892000] zd1211rw 2-3:1.0: eth1
      [ 15.892000] usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw

I also came across this page just now:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=258578

Comment

Wow..I didn 't log off and wasn't timed out on the forum...sorry.

Anyway, the ZyDAS GPL driver is different then the standard driver & chip which has been accompanying you USB Wireless in the past...

Take a look also with
        lsusb -v
        and
        lspci
        and
        lsmod
        ..Just to get a complete picture

But based on your link
        The F5D7050 version 2000,3000 and 4000 supports Linux Operating system. The chipset used in F5D7050 version 2000 and 3000 is "Ralink" chipset and the chipset used in F5D7050 version 4000 is "Zydas".
        You must have the Zydas

So seems that you have done all the obvious correctly..
        Regarding the dropping of signals..
        I have had these problems as I have said with Belkin WIreless Routers.
        The tech dept at Belkin made it clear that they do not engineer to work with Linux wireless connects.. Of course I felt that this was BULL as wireless packets are wireless packets and LINUX nor Win should make a Difference.
        .....Until the Wireless router was either not detecting the Laptop or if it did Detect the Laptop it would Drop it..
        ...Gets more interesting.. the Laptop was a Dell 5100 with a 1350 Wireless is a Dual Boot WinXP/Linux Machine. When Dual Booted to WinXP it would work flawlessly with WinXP and yet not with Linux..Hmmm so you would think something is wrong with the Linux wireless Driver, No?....
        ....The answer was No because I changed to a Linksys Router and changed NOTHING else and WinXP and LINUX worked perfectly Wirelessly..from then on.

So you be the judge regarding Belkin. Perhaps an alternative zd1211 driver is out there that will do a better job..
        Just like the Linux bcm4xx is a bit buggy yet the bcm WinXP versions with the ndiswrapper work great.
        Consider experimenting/trying the WinXp drivers for your Zdylas chip with the ndiswrapper installing them..
        Get the ndiswrapper per Synaptic or Adept
        You would modprobe remove the zd1211
        In /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist Blacklist the zd1211
        Place the WinXP drivers the .inf and the .sys in a convenient home dir like .wireless the (.) so it stays out of View
        sudo ndiswrapper -i zdxxxx.inf
        sudo ndiswrapper -l
        sudo ndiswrapper -m
        sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
        iwlist

If your results is not better remove the WinXP drivers
        sudo ndiswrapper -e zdxxxx
        modprobe -remove ndiswrapper
        take zd1211 out of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
        And you are back to where you started
        Good luck

Check ndiswrapper ubuntu ror some examples...

Comment

If I say, screw it and get a Linkys or Netgear adapter, which one should I get?

I went to the Ubuntu wiki and a poster in the forums says that the Netgear WG111v2 USB adapter works out of the box but then I thought the Belkin was going to work like that.

My router is a Linksys WRT54G so a Linksys USB wireless adapter might be preferable but according to the Wiki and forums, the adapters are often hit and miss with some people saying it works immediately and others saying you have to build modules or use ndiswrapper.

I will try to use the instructions for the Belkin but I will soon have a 2nd computer and would like wireless with it as well but I definitely won't be going with another Belkin.

Comment

Sorry, I have been away from the forum.

Both are equal generic successes with Linux.
            I happen to favor Linksys.

Comment

Working...
            X