This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KNetworkManager

Hi all, firstly I'm new to Kubuntu and Linux.

I managed to get my Kubuntu laptop networked and access the internet, however now I have enabled WEP/WPA on my router I can no longer connect.

I have had a look around and most advice regards settings in KNetworkManager, although I can't seem to open it, when I click on the Manual Network configuration icon on the menu/task bar, it says KNetworkManager at the top of the menu, but I can't access it, when I click on it nothing happens. I have had a look around and can't find any other way of accessing it.

Am I just being stupid ? Can anyone give me any pointer ??

Cheers

Re: KNetworkManager

Don't worry, you're not being stupid! The Manual Network Configure icon *is* knetworkmanager. The other supposedly useful network tool is K->System Settings->Network Settings. It's buggy though, so I strongly recommend you access it by using kcontrol. You can do this by K->Run Command and then type in kcontrol.

Warning, rant follows!
    For some reason, the kubuntu people think that giving everything two names, one more descriptive, is less confusing. At least for me it is not. I'll spend time hunting the K menu looking for 'Kate', only to find it called "Advanced Text Editor (Kate)"

Hope that helps!

Comment

Posts concerning wireless connections and KNetwork Manager are plenty in the forum. Others who suffered connection/management issues with their wireless connections seem to have better luck with KWifi. This package is available for installation in Adept Manager.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What is KWifi? I'll post my question when I'm not so tired.

It started promising but ultimately I have the same complaint, there are two methods, it seems but both are restrictive in different ways. Well, that was my perception. I want to keep using a static IP so can't I do that via a wireless connection? Anyway, I'll outline the entire problem and issue later (if anyone wishes to take a stab at it).

Comment

Don't worry, you're not being stupid! The Manual Network Configure icon *is* knetworkmanager. The other supposedly useful network tool is K->System Settings->Network Settings. It's buggy though, so I strongly recommend you access it by using kcontrol.
          As is KNetworkManager....
          I have had to turn to Wlassistant to fire my WIreless connection from my desktop.
          Otherwise My Dell 1501 amd64bit laptop can not connect per KNetworkManager.
          This BUG has been recognized by Ubuntu/Canonical Support.

So Kwifi or wlassistant may be necessary in your case.

Comment

Get KWifiManager (through Adept). It will allow you to enter your WEP key and assign a configuration (I only have one so I use Config 1) to start up with the laptop.

Comment

Does KDE or Kubuntu have a program that provides an option for WPA?!?

I could not find one after KNetwork Manager stopped allowing a switch between WEP or WPA. Yes, the router is configured for WPA in the router settings.

Also, how do I get KNework Manager back to its original state? I have no idea what happened but starting it now does nothing but put an icon in the right-hand corner and it remains there until it's closed by 'quit.' When I click it with either mouse button, I get a menu of:
              * Wired Devices
              * Wired Network (checked with 'x')
              * Manual Configuration (which will only allow a WEP config)
              * Options - 'Disable Wireless'; 'Show Networks'; 'Configure Notifications'
              * Help
              * Quit

Sorry if this is obvious or standard? But, I don't see how. I cannot select WPA anymore. I posted this because of the subject and hoping someone can confirm what happened and/or how to select WPA. Or to recommend/suggest a program that allows WPA.

Or how to select/configure WPA another way... command line or

Comment

I am having the same issue that kbunt has described. I was able to see & manage my wireless networks using knetworkmanager this morning, but have somehow lost all reference to wireless networks now. How can it be working in the morning, but not working now? This is very frustrating to say the least, and any pointers in how best to regain the ability to manage wireless networks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                Dan

Comment

Just the buggy nature of KNetworkManager with some Wifi Drivers and works fine with others.
                  You can do this
                  Remove additional refrences to Wifi connections in /etc/network/interfaces
                  Sometimes I end up with a Wifi reference to wlan0 and also a wifi eth1 or eth2 ...
                  So, I edit /etc/network/interfaces..
                  These problems do seem to show up more so with ndiswrapper connects.
                  Are you using ndiswrapper with WinXP wifi drivers.
                  If so make certain to Blacklist the original Linux module for that Wifi driver by adding it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.. so they aren't both colliding.

Comment

Try this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088367.0

Comment

Working...
                    X