Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wifi problem using the broadcom chip - is there an adpater that simply works?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi problem using the broadcom chip - is there an adpater that simply works?

Hi all...noob here. I have a pci wireless adapter that uses the broadcom chip. Having read quite a few posts about these wireless cards, it seems complicated to understand how to even begin to get this type of card to work (especially since I have maybe minutes of exposure in this new environment, and do not even have a broad based understanding of the file structure in the OS, the utilities, etc.)
    So rather than ask for help in configuring something that is both complicated and critical to going further, and given that wireless adapters are not that expensive for a desktop, I thought I might ask WHAT wireless adapter (PCI or USB) is known to work immediately with Kubuntu 7.04. Again, I am a noob, and am first interested in evaluating whether Kubuntu is for me, using the live CD. Thanks for your help.

Re: Wifi problem using the broadcom chip - is there an adpater that simply works

It seems complicated, but fear not. There are a lot of posts because most folks are nitwits who would rather post than search. If you follow the instructions, with 10 minutes or so, you will have it working. How about trying the live CD with your wired adapter.

Comment

Re: Wifi problem using the broadcom chip - is there an adpater that simply works

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I have gotten the wired adapter working...no problem. Unfortunately I have a 50' ethernet cable snaked through my house...such is life. I am testing the new environment and like it so far. I will have to start thinking about configuring the wifi adapter...but knowing a model that works out of the box would be great. I have so many questions that I would like to get answers to that one less would be a blessing. And is it even possible to configure the wifi without actually installing the distro? Thanks again - anim8sit

Comment

There is a ton of info on getting broadcom wirless working over on the Ubuntu forum. The one that got me working was:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=broadcom

Comment

Since you ask, I had a USB wireless by Belkin in my desk drawer, and I have never tried it in Kubuntu. So I pulled it out and plugged it in. It worked right out of the box with no problems. I opened network manager and there it was, I entered the WEP code for my router and it hooked right up. According to lsusb it is a Belkin Components F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi. That's nice to know.

Comment

Working...
          X