This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialup connection problem with Feisty

I just installed Feisty replacing Dapper on my main box. Having trouble with dialup, whether I use KPPP, wvdial or Pon/poff. I can dial up and make a connection just fine, but I can't access the web with any application. It acts like I have a firewall up that doesn't permit any access. The modem is a USR external serial port unit that worked fine with Dapper. Any hints as to the obvious problem that I can't see?
    - enfield

Re: Dialup connection problem with Feisty

Can you ping some server via its IP? It could be bad gateway configuration or DNS. When you connect, the ISP sends these infos to your machine. We need to know if you can make an external contact of any kind. Email, Ping, anything.

Comment

I had a similar problem when I was on dial up. What I found was it was looking at eth0 instead of ppp0. Try to disable eth0 and redial and see if you can get online.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

In this case, the gateway setting may be incorrect. At the time you connect, the default GW route should be set to the ppp0 port instead of eth0. PPP bogus?

Comment

Yes, your right but I just want him to disable it first to test it. If he does not have a network then he won't need eth0 anyway.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Hey enfield,
            This is most likley your problem!

Kubuntu thinks your default internet connection is eth0 but you want it to be ppp0 so all you have to do is type this into your command line every time you connect with you dial up! "sudo route add default ppp0"

If this works for you I have figured out a way for pon to automatically do this!
            (This is home made fix but it should work for you!)
            Make a script in wherever (lets say you desktop) /home/____/Desktop.

EXAMPLE (make an empty text file):

#!/bin/bash

if ifup ppp0 then
            sudo route add default ppp0
            fi

THEN go to your /etc/ppp/ directory and open up the ip-up file.

ADD this line to the end "sudo /home/_____/Desktop/yourscriptname start"

Now REMEMBER when you go to type in "pon" NOW YOU NEED TO TYPE IN
            "sudo pon" because you are using root commands in your script! And YES i have tryed to do this without being root but to my knowledge it is impossible. (well with my 17 year old skill set at least, LOL)

Well I hope that works for you because it is pretty sloppy code but It works perfectly for me!

Rob

Comment

Disabling eth0 worked fine.

Now, how do I get eth0 back up, in case I want to print something to my network printer while I'm online?
              - enfield

Comment

Code:
                sudo ifconfig eth0 up

Comment

Working...
                X