This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surely a typical wireless problem

i just installed kubuntu 7.04 and i'm having trouble getting my wireless to work. knetworkmanager seems to recognize my 3 network interfaces, 1 wired, an internal wireless car, and a pcmcia card. both of the wireless cards are coincidentally Broadcom BCM 4306s. what happens is that i will type in the Essid and the little configuration bubble will pop up and stall at 28%. i don't have wep or wpa enabled and i've already uninstalled kwalletmanager. i'm a total linux newb but i'm willing to learn so does anyone have any advice?

Re: surely a typical wireless problem

No direct help, but there are a lot of posts about how Broadcomm wireless does not work well with linux due to a lack of information about their drivers or something similar. I believe a product called ndiswrapper is used to overcome this problem. Not 100% sure about this but you can search this forum for 'Broadcomm' and 'ndiswrapper' to learn more.

Comment

I am also stuck at 28% in the configuration of the network connection. This is my first day on Kubuntu. I found the guidance on Broadcomm and ndiswrapper mentioned by aiiee in:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...bcm43xx/Feisty

the problem is I hardly understand any of the commands you have to execute.
      Can I do it while running the Live CD?

Comment

If you do it while running the LiveCD, all changes/additions will disappear when you reboot.

Comment

...and you don't necessarily have to understand the commands to type them in. Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201902). It helped me get up and running after trying many other tutorials on Broadcom wireless. And like the guy says, if the bcmwl5.inf file doesn't work (it didn't for me), try the bcmwl5a.inf (worked for me!).

Comment

The recipe that worked for me

For the best recipe I've seen for getting Broadcomm wireless working, see http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-work.-550053/
            It worked for me, though be sure to change filenames to their Kubuntu versions and use eth1 instead of wlan0. Also note that wpa_supplicant is available in a package so you don't need to build it from the sources. The filenames I used for Kubuntu are:

Code:
            /sbin/wpa_supplicant (or just wpa_supplicant)
            /etc/rc.local

Comment

Ah yessssss the 28% complete bargraph. >

Try running from the LiveCD and:

Click on the network manager icon in the taskbar (lower right corner of the screen).

If it opens showing a network (or list of networks) with the essid(s) already in place and a small signal strength bargraph (or graphs), click on one of these ESSID graph lines and you should be connected automatically.

You shouldn't have to enter an essid at all! All you have to do is pick one of the ones shown. If you are entering an essid, chances are you are trying to configure networkmanager manually -- this can cause all kinds of problems.

If the network requires a password or phrase a dialog will be started automatically asking for these. Since you say you don't use WPA, then you shouldn't even have this dialog popup. The wallet is there to store these connection preferences automatically, so that next tim you hook up you don't have to enter it.

If this works for you, then this is the way to link to a wireless network for you, not by trying to manually configure it.

I'm not saying the card drivers may not also be a problem, but check this out first before assuming something deeper is wrong. If you are seeing partial connections (the 28%) chances are your card was already working.

Be sure to do this from the LiveCD so you are doing it from a clean system, without all the changes you made since, and the manual configurations you attempted. If it works from the LiveCD mode, you realize you will have to undo what you did, or reinstall (if you have abrand new installation)

Comment

Working...
              X