This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove network-manager from wired computer

Hi- I am using Kubuntu 7.04 on a desktop computer with a wired ethernet connection. As usual, Kubuntu installs network-manager and knetworkmanager by default. Networking is functioning fine, but the computer has limited RAM, so I am trying to squeeze every Mb out of it.

If I remove network-manager and knetworkmanager (sudo apt-get remove network-manager knetworkmanager), will I still maintain my wired ethernet connection and be able to change network settings (if needed) through the KDE control panel? Or do I need to replace the two programs with something else in order to keep things functioning? Thanks in advance, FW

Re: Remove network-manager from wired computer

You may savely remove this "Network Manager" and revert to KDE's own Control Center "as need be" 8)

This, however, is not going to solve your problem, since - due to a rather strange package management policy - a lot of what you're kicking out will creep back in with the next update.

For a really "resource-efficient" system, you're bound to revert to Debian 4 or Mepis 7 (sorry ...).

Comment

Thanks UnicornRider. I thought it would probably work, but, then again, if I was wrong--there goes the internet connection.

Also, you are right about slimming down Kubuntu 7.04 memory footprint. I have two identical computers, one running Debian 4.0 with KDE and the other Kubuntu 7.04 (256 mb RAM). So far, by changing things as much as possible on both computers (stopping services, eliminating dameons, etc), I've been able to get the Debian computer down to 46 mb used, but the Kubuntu computer is still at 74 mb RAM used (using "free -m", I know--not the most accurate). That extra ~20 mb keeps the Debian computer out of swap most of the time, but puts the Kubuntu computer into swap most of the time. It really makes a difference in computing experience.

Unfortunately, the Kubuntu computer needs to stay as a dual-boot with WinXP, and I can't get grub to work correctly with Debian. It is setup with a new 160 gb HD as 120 gb WinXP/40 gb Kubuntu (1 gb swap), and a Kubuntu install will boot both thru grub just fine. When trying Debian's grub, I get a grub error 18 everytime. Too bad, as I think Debian would be a better choice for it. But, I'm getting lots of experience with both variants of the OS.

Thanks for your help, FW

Comment

Originally posted by fwheeler_1
        there goes the internet connection
        Then kick out avahi & friends as well - slim it down to what is really needed
        - in particular, make sure you've elimimated resolvconf (not: resolv.conf) ...

slimming down Kubuntu 7.04
        I've spent (and lost) a couple of days in futile attempts to forever eliminate what's irrelevant >

Finally, I've given up and installed Debian 4.0 Xfce on the file server and Mepis 7 on the workstation - the latter because, "even though" it is by far closer to Debian than any version of (K)Ubuntu, it's not as puristic as plain Debian ...

I can't get grub to work correctly with Debian [...] I get a grub error 18 everytime.
        http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...e2-errors.html
        Read: a separate boot partition ought to resolve this "legacy problem" (?).

Comment

Working...
        X