X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Management

Hi folks,
    This is my first post as I am new to the Forums and Kubuntu. Last night I installed Kubuntu on my HP Pavillion dv9225us notebook. Everything went smoothly with the installation. The only issue I've had was getting the wireless card to work. But it was nothing that the internet, a few hours and ndiswrapper couldn't solve. My question is how can I manage my wireless connection? KNetworkManager doesn't seem to be working very smoothly. I have no way of viewing the available networks so that I might choose one. Using iwlist is an option but I was hoping there was something easier with a nice GUI. Also it seems that KNetworkManager puts multiple entries for wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces when I try to change my settings effectively disabling my wireless connection untill I remove the extra entries. Is there an easier way? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Ryan

Re: Wireless Management

Believe it or not, once you learn how to use KnetworkManager it would be a breeze. I was having the same problem when knetworkManager first came up and I think I can help you with that. If you download the driver with ndiswapper and downloaded the appropriate windows driver you are 99% way there to get your wireless working. Open knetworkManager and then you should right click on the icon at the bottom right of your screen. You should be able to see all the wireless which are available on your range. Once you decide how which one you need just click on it. If the router that you are connecting does not have an encrypted password you should be able to connect in a few short seconds. If the router has a password and you know it you just have to click on the encryption box. At this moment it will say WEP Passphrase. You do not want that. So when you click you should choose the one that says WEP 40/104-bit ASCII. Once that is chosen type the password in the box below. Hit connect and your wireless should be working then. Let me know how was it.

Pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Hi,

I completely dislike KNetwork too. I uninstalled it and replaced it with KNemo and Wireless assistant (more info at www.kde-apps.org)

They should be available to install via the repositories.

BFC

Comment

Originally posted by pookito
        At this moment it will say WEP Passphrase. You do not want that.

Pookito
        Quoted for Truth, Justice, and the Kubuntu way!

Comment

Working...
        X