This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not detecting network?

I just recently installed Kubuntu Feisty Fawn alongside with Windows XP on my laptop (HP dv2120us). Windows XP can pick up the wireless network just fine and connects no problem. But Kubuntu doesn't even detect the network.

Is there something I did wrong? Or do I have to do a little bit more configuring?

Re: Not detecting network?

K Menu | System Settings | Network Settings | Network Connections

Access Administrator Mode and ensure that your wireless connection is 1) identified (eth0) and it is enabled.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I enabled it but it just keeps disabling....

Comment

Have you got knetworkmanager loaded and running in the system tray?

Does your wireless hardware even work with Linux?

I would avoid using the kcontrol/systemsettings network config interface. I have never found it to work properly, and it has a tendency to mess other things around too.

FYI: ethx is usually used for wired ethernet interfaces; athy or wifiz for wireless ones (all depends on your wireless hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
          Have you got knetworkmanager loaded and running in the system tray?

Does your wireless hardware even work with Linux?

I would avoid using the kcontrol/systemsettings network config interface. I have never found it to work properly, and it has a tendency to mess other things around too.

FYI: ethx is usually used for wired ethernet interfaces; athy or wifiz for wireless ones (all depends on your wireless hardware).
          1. Yes I do

2: I have a Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI card. But I've read that Kubuntu works great with HP dv2120us laptops. I'm not too entirely if it's compatible, but Kubuntu does recognize the card...

Comment

Hi
            i think i have a similar problem
            i use a compaq presario v6409tu.. which has the Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 .. not sure if its the mini card.. im on kubuntu 7.04
            when i goto the network manager it detects the broadcom wireless card on the laptop
            but when i click on enable .. it doesn't enable..
            the wired connection seems to accept all settings we make
            is there a driver conflict or do i have to install any other drivers to get this working as well?
            i am really new to Linux.. so please do instruct me in as simple steps as possible..
            thanks

Comment

This is a very common question. If you search on broadcom and ndiswrapper, you will find the information you need. This thread is not perfect, but it gives you what you need:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=10383.0

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD! You don't need to compile anything. Everything you need can be installed from a deb/repository. As with most things, you will probably find better information over at the ubuntu forum as folks tend to post howto's, but this thread gives you the information you need.

Comment

I got the driver installed. The card shows up in iwconfig.
                It was'nt being detected in knetworkmanager. So installed kwifimanager.
                kwifimanager does find the nearby wireless netwoks but always connects in adhoc mode and says no access point. please help me connect to access point.

Comment

Other than the graphical interface, I don't have much luck with kwifimanager. Have you tried using K->System Settings->Network Settings to adjust the settings. If that is not working, use iwconfig to set the settings you know. Continue to add settings until it is connected correctly.

Comment

i did set everything in command line
                    the link shows excellent in kwifimanager
                    but i still cant browse
                    all my proxy settings etc are in place
                    no idea why cant i browse
                    any idea why?
                    and the encryption for the wireless network it detects was off
                    do i have to or can i switch off encryption for the device?

Comment

Does kwifimanager (or other) show that you have an IP address? If not, I would guess that your router is set up with either encryption or mac filtering.

Comment

-> kwifimanager shows the IP i have set in the knetworkmanager for the device - wlan0
                        ->dont know about mac filtering... theres no encryption in the router tho
                        ->kwifimanager shows everything is fine.. shows the access point address... my IP address.. signal strength etc..

Comment

Can you ping your router? Can you trace route outside your LAN? Are you running a firewall? If so, turn it off until you are able to connect.

Comment

I have the same problem when I installed a Netgear FA311v2 ethernet adapter. Where is the driver for this card. Could someone please develop a driver for this card by the time the next version is due out?

Comment

Working...
                            X