X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Broadband Internet Connection

Hello people!
    I am a new user of Kubuntu. I am using it from LiveCD. Can I configure LAN connection while using LiveCD? If yes, How? If no, will I be able to after I install it on computer? How to configure LAN after installing?
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: Setting up Broadband Internet Connection

My but aren't you a prolific poster... Yes and yes. However, without any information about your computer, you will get no help. It is highly likely that you wired network adapter will work easily with the live CD, in my estimation, about 50/50 that your wireless will work. There is a 99% chance that your wireless will work with an install. Start by searching the forums for your system. It is very likely that there is already a lot of information available for any unique HW that requires special care.

Comment

Prolific Poster? Nice. I think I can use it as my nickname
      By the way, I was not talking about Wireless Network. I have an Intel 386 pc with a "wired" broadband connection through a LAN card. My ISP has provided me a static IP address.
      Thanks anyways, for the nickname as well as advice!
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Go to K->System Settings->Network. Go in to admin mode (enter your password) and select and edit your network adapter information. It will likely be eth0. You will be able to enter the IP address that your ISP provided you. It should be self-explanatory, but if you need help, post again.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
          Go to K->System Settings->Network. Go in to admin mode (enter your password) and select and edit your network adapter information. It will likely be eth0. You will be able to enter the IP address that your ISP provided you. It should be self-explanatory, but if you need help, post again.
          While I connect my modem to the ethernet port, the "Network" module in system settings does not show any interface like eth0, eth1. It just remains blank. The only work-around I found to work for me for all this time was to connect the modem to the USB port on my computer. When I do that, the 'network' module shows eth0 and I can put my Static IP Address against it.

I didn't have any problems connecting from the USB port. But, last week I installed Ubuntu Gutsy, and I found out that it can access network only from the ethernet port. So now I need to get Kubuntu also working from ethernet card.
          Can anybody help me on this? I have a Realtek 8139 ethernet card, and cable internet connected via modem.

Comment

Come on People! Please help me out!!! Ain't there anybody who is connecting to internet via ethernet port?

Comment

The 8139 is very common and should be automatically detected and set up. Please outline what you've changed. Also post the output from the following commands:

lspci|grep -i net

ifconfig

more /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

Please outline what you've changed.
                I have not changed anything. As I said earlier, I could not connect to the internet via ethernet port since installation. But as it was working via USB, I did not bother. But now as Ubuntu Gutsy requires me to connect to ethernet port, I need Kubuntu also to work from ethernet port.

Also post the output from the following commands:

lspci|grep -i net

ifconfig

more /etc/network/interfaces
                Code:
                $ lspci|grep -i net:

01:02.0 Ethernet controller: Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Unknown device 2031 (rev 01)

$ ifconfig:
                lo    Link encap:Local Loopback
                     inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                     inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                     UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                     RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                     TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                     collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                     RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

$ more /etc/network/interfaces:
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback
                address 127.0.0.1
                netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
                iface eth0 inet static
                address 125.99.33.52
                netmask 255.255.252.0
                gateway 125.99.32.1

auto eth1
                iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
                iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
                iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
                iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Comment

Looking on ubuntu forums, looks like yours is a common problem, but some folks have gotten it working. Looks like they had to compile and load a module. Go over to http://ubuntuforums.org and search on "Hangzhou Silan". Checked the threads that say solved. If I had found a great one, I would have posted it, but I found several with clues. One said to make sure that windows is not disabling it when you leave windows. Another gave a link to a driver. You can also google for "Hangzhou Silan linux". There were some informative links. This seems to be a specific problem with that type of card/nic.

Comment

Working...
                  X