X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted NAS and UTF8 encoding in Konqueror

hello, could someone shed light on this:

I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) where I keep my multimedia files.
    I have mounted it and everything is working properly
    but there is just one thing that I dont understand.

The directory where NAS is mounted is not showing the proper encoding. (UTF8)
    basically "á,é,í,ó,ú,ä,ñ ..." are not showing up properly in konqueror.
    So my music files under, say, Angélique would show up as Ang[][]lique
    However, if I go to "remote places" and log in directly to the shared directory the encoding works.

in my fstab:
    (I have)
    >> //server/share /mnt/share cifs utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    (I've also tried)
    >> //server/share /mnt/share cifs locale=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    >> //server/share /mnt/share cifs iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

Ive even tried it with the french locale just to see if it would help but no dice.

since I can do everything I want to do with the mounted directory
    its just a minor "bug" [and by that I mean its bugging me ]
    but if someone can help me understand why its doing what its doing Id greatly appreciate it

Re: Mounted NAS and UTF8 encoding in Konqueror

Have you tried changing the Default Encoding within Konqueror? (Settings | Configure Konqueror | Fonts | Default encoding). If UTF8 gives you what you want with foreign/umlaut'd characters, you can see what happens when you select UTF8 as the default encoding.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the response SnowHog.
      Unfortunately it still shows me the same thing, even after a logoff+login and a reboot.

Funny thing though I just stumbled on to is that I can rename the directories in the mounted share
      and it would work konqueror would show the UTF8 encoding!! but the thing is the name is really correct anyway in the first place when I use the "remote places" and login (which is also Konqueror to start with).

so basically Im renaming an already correctly named directory on the mounted share just so plain-old-konqueror (as oppposed to remote-places-koqueror) can display it correctly
      and if I do rename it, it does stick even after a reboot. Although I have to rename thousands.

I dont know if you can follow, I myself am having a hard time trying to put in words something this wierd.

Comment

May be off the mark - but my smb.conf (i.a.) contains:

Code:
        [global]
        unix charset = UTF-8

Comment

Working...
        X