Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Hi,
    We are two people, both using Kubuntu machines sitting behind a DSLrouter and I would like to create a folder that both people can access trough the local connection. Currently we send each other files by email, even though we sit next door to each other.

I understand zeroconf with avahi is already working on Feisty, so to create a LAN with NFS should not be necessary. Or? But when I want to share a folder it asks for NFS or Samba, neither of which I want to install. Isn't the meaning of zeroconf to avoid the requirements posed by installing NFS as well as avoiding the need of one central administrator?

How do I create such a network folder which would then become visible for both people in Konqueror as zeroconf:/

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

As I understand it, zeroconf is not for file sharing, it's only to make connecting to a network easy. So zeroconf is supposed to make it easy for you to connect to the internet, but not to share files with other users. zeroconf is just a utility to automate the set up of certain protocols that allow the bits to flow back and forth, like TCP/IP.
    You need some installed protocol that supports file sharing or you won't be able to share files. That's where samba or nfs come in.

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL rout

utnuk,
      It is very simple. Make sure that ssh is installed on both machines. (possibly installed by default with Kubuntu, I can't remember.

sudo apt-get install ssh

Reboot both machines after install and then in konqueror address bar

fish://ip.of.other machine

That should do it.

JA

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Thanks on the prep regarding zeroconf, I had thought this is a tool to set up server-free, ad-hoc networks.

Both machines have had the 'openssh-client' installed out of the box, the program 'ssh' in adept was termed "transitional" and seemed to refer to the openssh packages. 'Openssh-server' is not installed on either machines, and showed a lot of conflicts in the details list. I'm not sure that package is needed too for the fish thingy.

I tried the fish thingy, but it returned a "no connection to 192.168.35" Would there not be an authentication dialog in the machine that one is trying to access? And would that authentication not have to be preconfigured? Is there perhaps a port I need to open in the router firewall for this?

Comment

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I don't think SSH and FISH will get you to where you want to be. First, the SSH client is installed by default with Kubuntu, but the SSH server is not. This is why you get the "Can't make a connection error." So in order to make that work, you need to install and configure the SSH server on both systems. That alone is more complex then installing Samba. Then you have to use FTP-like commands to move files back and forth between the two machines. It sounds like you might be a relatively-new Ubuntu user, so I don't recommend this way.

In my opinion, it is much much easier to just install the file sharing component of Samba, and then use the system settings to create a shared folder. And the easiest way to ensure that works is to make sure both users have accounts on _both_ machines. In other words, if you are two users (John and Tom) then make sure _both_ computers have logins for _both_ John and Tom, same passwords and everything.

If both computers are on the same side of the router, then you shouldn't have to open ports to make this work. Ports are only blocked between the local side of the router and the Internet side of the router. There shouldn't be any ports blocked betwee computers that plug into the same side of the router.

Comment

You're right, I wouldn't be able to set up and configure a ssh server. I've actually used kubuntu for more than 3 years, but I go the route of least resistance in achieving what I want so my knowledge has the status of a newbie.

Am I correct in assuming that setting up diametrical accounts on each machine is just to achieve easy functionality for Samba, given that we don't use each others computers? So I would create this account on the other machine (and vice versa) without actually using it?

Also, given that we don't use windows, would NFS not provide faster access? Or is it more complex to set up?

Comment

If you want to stick with graphical interfaces, then avoid anything SSH related. I do.

Yes, the diametrical accounts is because Samba only grants access to users that it understands. You could grant unlimited guest access, but that is probably a bad idea. By setting up accounts on both computers for USER1 and USER2, when USER1 connects to a Samba share on COMPUTER2, Samba on COMPUTER2 will know who USER1 is even though only USER2 physically logs on to COMPUTER2. Technically both users are physically logged on, but only USER1 is using the keyboard and monitor that are attached to COMPUTER1 and vice versa.

On the NFS/SMB thing, from what I read SMB is actually faster. I guess some people say that they get better results with NFS, but drastically more people say they get better performance with SMB. My guess is SMB is at least a little faster and most of the people that prefer NFS only do so because they hate Microsoft.

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL rout

You do need to install the package 'openssh-server' on the machine(s) you want to be able to enter. (the openssh-client is simply the bit that allows you to connect to a remote ssh server)
                Then it is as easy as clicking the System Menu icon in your taskbar, select Remote Places, and then Add Network Folder and choose "secure shell' . There you can fill in all the info (use the username of a user on the remote machine) and it can even put an icon for the connection in the Remote Places folder for you. It opens a konqueror window and you can browse the other machine's folders, drag and drop , etc. very gui. Very easy to set up this way, much more so than samba (which seems to give many a tough time), and loads easier than nfs which is a major pain.. File transfers can be slower as it encrypts/decrypts everything as it is transmitted, but this makes it nice for *really* remote connections

Comment

there must be something amiss as there should not be any conflicts with openssh-server at all. I just installed it this morning , and usually have it installed on my 2 machines.

Maybe post some of the details on what adept is saying, or try using a terminal to get better info:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get update
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install openssh-server
                  this will give better error info on what is going on

Comment

is it me or are there weird things happening to this thread?

Comment

gypsy, there's really nothing hard about installing openssh-server. Samba's server is much more difficult to get working and since the question was about linux-linux question, Samba isn't even necessary. Samba is for connecting in a network with Win$. SSH can be secured in a snap--in /etc/ssh/sshd_config change the file to read
                      PermitRootLogin no
                      AllowUsers to name of remote user

Then in konsole, restart the server

sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart

Also, what I suggested is a gui option (Konqueror is gui), You've apparently not given this a try before.

Comment

I must agree. i gave up on samba and went for ssh server on my lan it was dead simple to setup. Samba would be preferable for file sharing but it is not the easiest thing to set up in (K)ubuntu at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                          is it me or are there weird things happening to this thread?
                          Yes, first one of your posts were double, now one of mine is missing:-( My last one where I thanked everyone for the information so far.

Since the conflicts are not from an install routine, but are listed in adept after clicking on the detail button (the one beside the installation button), I made a screenshot of it.

[Image deleted for privacy reasons since it's not relevant to the context anymore.]

I'm not sure what these conflicts mean, if anything. I'm afraid to actually go forward with any installation when I see conflicts in the details in adept prior to installation. The way I understand it, going through with an installation despite conflicts can render the system unstable. All things which I'm unable to fix apart from doing a fresh system install.

Comment

Ahhh I knew I should have looked at it myself! I was thinking there was an error trying to install.

Those conflicts are with older versions of the packages listed, and can safely be ignored. Adept/Apt would warn you about any conflicts you may have (and you won't) when you try to install anything that would cause a conflict anyway and not finish until the problem was resolved. I don't think there is ever much of an issue with this in (K)Ubuntu, but may be a possibility if there are some mixed repositories or perhaps some custom debs are installed.

Comment

first, don't use adept, but rather try from the command line in Konsole

sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client

Comment

Working...
                              X